Was the straw that broke the camels back, the workload?

by jambon1 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

I realise that there are many reasons for people leaving the org and some are very sensitive and difficult to discuss. But I was wondering how many people, if they really think about it, were finally broken by the sheer workload as a JW. Someone replied to my thread yesterday (page 2), and discussed the average week for most JW`s. It is very true. Basically, after long, tiring days at work it was highlighted how each night/weekend, in fact, ANY spare time was to be taken up by JW 'work' of somekind. And if you were'nt doing this you felt guilty!! In my own case, we had a massive workload thrust upon a small apointed body. The endless talk preperation, study, form filling (in a mag/lit dept), etc etc was exsasperating. Although I had many, many problems with the org doctrinaly, I think the workload just finished me off in the end. I was shattered. My family were suffering because of my lack of time and energy. This lead to frustration and a very unsettled household. Do you think they realise what they are doing to people? Do you really think it dawns on them that the brothers workloads are just about breaking individuals? Do they even care?

• JH
    JH

In my case, the work load, like you put it was 99% of the reason why I left. I wouldn't have mind to go to 1 meeting of 1 hour a week. I wouldn't have mind to go out in the field service once a month, not more.

I would have loved to see all the book studies united as one, so that there would have been less work to do, less reading and comments to make.

Yes, the workload was way too much for me, because I knew it was done on purpose so that we had no time left to enjoy life.....

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

The workload was indeed heavy but I didn't mind it overly much to be honest. It was the lies and falsehoods I found after doing some research of my own.

Oh and getting told by some that I had to take my son out (who was a baby) as he was making too much noise. Eh no he wasn't now piss off!!

BM

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Hey Brutus!

How different they are regarding their attitude towards children than what Jesus Christ taught.

I really feel bad for the Moms who are ordered to BRING their children to all the meetings and are then excluded from the meetings because of it.

Have you ever noticed that only the MOMS are scolded because they cannot keep the children quiet? That's because the DADS are expected to have responsibilities in the congo. If you don't, then they have no idea what to make of you.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Yes!!!

Ken P.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I didn't accept the workload. I did as much as I was comfortable with and no more. I rarely read the literature and never prepared for meetings. I didn't feel guilty at all, no matter how hard some people tried to make me feel that way.

W

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Do you really think it dawns on them that the brothers workloads are just about breaking individuals? Do they even care?***

I think it's a deliberate tactic used by the WTS to keep believers from having time to think about or discuss their doubts. They WANT you to work till you drop--to them, a beaten-down, exhausted-to-death JW is better than a JW with time to check the internet.
    Check any list of cult characteristics: "work em till they drop" is near the top.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Big thing for me is I never felt good enough. Told an elder once why should I bother doing anything because the small amount I'm doing isn't good enough and I never will do enough so might as well say eff it.

• IW
    IW

The JW workload was tough but it would have been as light as a feather if the GB put their money where their mouth was. If they were just honest and lived as they told us to live and if they loved as Jesus said they should.

Hypocrisy and lies eventually makes a load unbearable.

IW

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do they even care?

NO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit