Does anyone have experience with SYNESTHESIA?

by Nathan Natas 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

FE203Girl....Nope, it's not inconvenient most of the time. In fact, it can help serve as a mnenomic device, i.e. I remember it's "Katherine" with a "K" because I remember her name is reddish. Sometimes I can mix things up however between letters that have similar colors. For instance, "L" and "P" are close to the same color (tho "L" is slightly brighter and a bit more yellowish), and several years ago I was living at the YWCA for about a month and the mail boxes had alphabetic combinations. Numeric combinations are easy because of the 10 digits, almost every one has a distinctive color, but in the case of letters, I couldn't keep it in my head whether a certain letter was supposed to be "L" or "P". That is because I was remembering more the color pattern than the letters individually.

I'd heard of the condition, but I only thought it was something that happened to people who take "certain substances" for recreational purposes.

Not at all. I am certain there are several other synesthetes on this board, tho I bet some never knew there was a name for what they've experienced all their lives. I had no idea what it was called until the late '90s.

Leolaia, is there any danger involved in having sensory areas that "interfere" with each other. Or is it just something that people are used to, like colour blindness?

Well, usually for me it's not that vivid unless I pay attention to it. And the really super-vivid projective experiences are comparatively rare compared to the everyday latent experience. When it is vivid, the colors, shapes, etc. are seen as phantom images and phantom colors...they are different in essence from real colors or shapes so you'd never confuse the two (as opposed to what happens in hallucinations). There are two similar things I can mention to describe it. Have you ever dreamt in color? I mean, where the colors are really vivid and unmistakable. But yet this mental color is just not the same as the real thing. Or have you had a really intense visual experience over an extended period of time and then later when you go to bed you see phantom images of what you experienced projected by your mind? Such as playing a video game all day for hours on end and then when you go to bed you literally see images of the game playing by itself (i.e. see them with your eyes)? Another experience I had was the millenium New Years, in which I saw fireworks everywhere around me for hours on end, and then when I went to bed I could still see with my eyes a little red one go off or a green one. That's what synesthesia looks like when it is vivid. Except usually it is perceived on a more subconcious level until I focus on it. I've had experiences in which I picked up synesthetic responses on a subconcious level and only gradually became aware of it and then realize what was triggering the responses (i.e. like when something resembles the shape of an alphabet letter or number).

I think that many people have certain crossovers between senses in their brain that can temporarily cause them to see music/taste colours but I think part of the criteria to be diagnosed with synesthesia is that your misfiring connections are consistent eg. If the number 11 is always a bright red, if a flat square object always tastes bitter etc

Exactly. I have noticed very gradual long-term drift (i.e. "W" is more green than it was 15 years ago, when I first wrote a list of my colors), but the associations are the same minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour, day-by-day, year-by-year. However, there can be variation in my music perception, because there are different stimulis (i.e. timbre, pitch, structure of melodies, etc.) which each have their own associations, so music can look depending on what aspect of the music I'm paying attention to. Also, there can be bleed-throughs of my graphemic syn into the music syn, i.e. the song title.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I had an experience several years ago that Leolaia's comments about dreaming in color reminded me of.

I used to practice various forms of non-religious meditation. One that I practiced for a while involved working my way through the colors of the spectrum - the "roy g biv" sequence. When I would attempt to visualize a particular color, I would place it in the context of something commonly associated with the color. The colors would be subdued, to say the least. But you don't criticize, you observe and continue to practice. Until one day I started off with "red" and I experienced something like a red floodlight being turned on in my head!

The intensity startled me, and I lost the visualization.

I will admit I did not continue that practice, but I keep telling myself that some day I will.

For the record, no "substances" were involved. Never were and haven't to this day.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

We recently had a discusion about this on another board. One poster said something fascinating: he traced the colors he saw associated with letters (essentially a repeating rainbow) back to a Fisher Price toy letter set he had when he was a kid. I wonder though, if that is true synethesia?

• VM44
    VM44

Awhile ago I saw this book in the bookstore, now I know what it is about. --VM44

Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens: How Synesthetes Color Their Worlds, by Patricia Lynne Duffy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805071873

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I read in the news a couple years back how those who see colours when they hear say that Compact Disk digital technology does not produce nearly as vivid visuals as Vinyl, which produces the best.

So, does that mean that vinyl produces better sound?

• merfi
    merfi
    We recently had a discusion about this on another board. One poster said something fascinating: he traced the colors he saw associated with letters (essentially a repeating rainbow) back to a Fisher Price toy letter set he had when he was a kid. I wonder though, if that is true synethesia?

I do this, also, but thought I was the only one! Because of the FP letters, people's names are a color -- the color of the first letter. Numbers, the same, but not as strong. When I think of a word, like "cat", I see, not an animal, but the actual word, and it's yellow (because "C" was yellow in the FP letters ) Guessing that this isn't true synethesia, but it is kinda interesting. ~merfi

• Keepitsane
    Keepitsane

Brento, in answer to your question about vinyl the short answer would be that on comparable equipment quality wise (a high end CD player vs a high end record player), yes it does sound markedly better.

Digital mediums basically dominated the market because they are cheaper and more durable but analogue ones still sound better.

The first reason is that in the interest of holding all the neccesary data CD's only contain frequencies between 20hz and 20khz. This is the range of frequencies that a human being can percieve as sound and the rest was therefore considered useless and a waste of space on the disc.

However, tests have shown that frequencies outside of this range can have a marked effect on the way we percieve things, eg. frequencies lower than 20hz, although inaudible on their own can make us percieve the bass of a recording as fuller and deeper.

The second reason is that CD's aren't playing a constant stream of sound. Rather it's a series of samples (44,100 of them per second to be exact) . What this means practically is that what you hear seems crisp and clear on a surface level but lacks depth, think of how a digital picture looks crisp and clear but if you analyze it closely you'll see it's made up of pixels where the colours in a given area has been averaged out). This is the same with digital music, 44,100 little sonic pixels to aproximate the sound the digital converters percieved at the time of recording.

Hope this isn't too long winded and techie an explanation (I've been a sound engineer for a good while and sometimes make the mistake of believing these things are fascinating to all!)

Leolaia, I like very much your idea about people who percieve auras and synesthesia. Sounds more than plausible. Any other sources for this?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Just reminded of how I encourage my boys to keep away from drugs, esp. LSD. I say things like: "You know how bad your farts smell? Well, imagine what they look like!"

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Leo, I've wondered the same thing about auras. Have you ever seen any data on that idea?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit