MISQUOTING JESUS: a book I highly endorse

by Terry 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Just bought it and am reading it now.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

What is amazing is that Christianity is around 2000 years after its inception. The only thing keeping it alive is the belief that believers will go to heaven if they are baptised and behave themselves.
    If you think about it if JWs had started christianity 2000 years ago Christianity would have petered out soon after. JWism isn't designed to be a long term religion, it's doctrines don't allow it.

I'm suspicious of attempts to disprove something by someone that has an axe to grind. Scientist for example marry themselves to a dear theory they develop and swear by it even though other scientist come along and show how it is not so.

• Terry
    Terry
    I'm suspicious of attempts to disprove something by someone that has an axe to grind. Scientist for example marry themselves to a dear theory they develop and swear by it even though other scientist come along and show how it is not so

Give us just one example, please.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Unfortunately I don't remember the details but there was a great example of this in a documentary related to an exinction event ( Not the one 65 million years ago) where a female scientist believed she had it all figured out, stuck to her guns even though other scientists showed that even her microscopic fossil organism (used as evidence of her theory) were actually crystals which if I remember rightly on its own blow away her theory.

It was amazing how she saw what suited her in those crystals. That worried me because it made me wonder how many other scientist operate in this manner.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My son bought the book for me for my birthday. I was enjoying it when my Da commandeered it from me. He's liking it so much, I don't think he'll be giving it back. I endorse it also.

• Terry
    Terry
    Unfortunately I don't remember the details but there was a great example of this in a documentary related to an exinction event ( Not the one 65 million years ago) where a female scientist believed she had it all figured out, stuck to her guns even though other scientists showed that even her microscopic fossil organism (used as evidence of her theory) were actually crystals which if I remember rightly on its own blow away her theory.

It was amazing how she saw what suited her in those crystals. That worried me because it made me wonder how many other scientist operate in this manner.

Take comfort in PEER REVIEW!

This is the testing and filtering safety net in science.

The lady scientist to whom you obliquely refer was not only caught, put on notice and rebuked--you were able to read about it, thus exposing her folly. That is a pretty good example of science catching the nitwits.

Pity there isn't one in religion! Oh wait! The bible is the filter. Oh Wait! There is no way to test scripture against reality. Darn!

• Terry
    Terry
    My son bought the book for me for my birthday. I was enjoying it when my Da commandeered it from me. He's liking it so much, I don't think he'll be giving it back. I endorse it also.

Ahhh, the "cobra" is delighted!

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Do you have 100% trust in science then?

• Terry
    Terry
    Do you have 100% trust in science then?

Science measures, quantifies, tests and predicts. Science asks skeptical questions and provides provisional answers which are presented for peer review. The Scientific Method frames its data in such a way that the content can be subjected to disproof.

Science presents its case from the standpoint of a refining process that actively looks for error to make corrections. Revision is sought to shed light on error in this self-correcting mechanism.

Compare Science to the New Light doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses and look at the differences.

Science starts out with provisional data and shapes it into a hypothesis for testing.

The Watchtower starts out with the direction of Jehovah and shapes it into a pronouncement which is not to be questioned.

Science arranges the data into a testable hypothesis which is called "Falsifiability". This means there is a way you can prove the hypothesis null.

The Watchtower condemns dissent and labels it as "fighting against God". Debate is quashed.

Science identifies error and invites the review of any experimentation in order to reshape they hypothesis into stronger data for further tests.

The Watchtower always assumes that "disproofs" offered by others are attacks and responds with ad hominem denunciations and a call for blind obedience.

Science presents the strongest data to the scientific community as a Theory which represents the best possible explanation of a phenomenon. A theory is always provisional. The theory which stands the test of time becomes a Law. A scientific Law is the strongest statement of reality possible under state of the art testing. Even a scientifica Law is considered provisional. This means it is considered true until such time it can be demonstrated to be quantifiably in error.

The Watchtower paints itself into corners where reality demonstrates them wrong and there is no way to save face but produce NEW LIGHT.

New Light is a face-saving means of pretending their pronouncements from Authority were merely efforts at being right. Being WRONG is reshaped into a demonstration of their willingness to explain something not-quite-correct with enthusiasm. The world at large is expected to respond by saying: "Nice try! Thanks for the effort. No harm done." Instead, they seek to avoid being labeled FALSE PROPHETS.

A series of tests and provisional statements of "this is how it appears to be so far" is quite different from: "God Almighty says this is true and you better believe it". Wouldn't you say?

Where does "trust" become an issue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit