do other religions shun?

by aoxo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

The change came in the 50s when Barnhouse and Martin studied Adventism two books were printed one by the General conference called 'questions on doctrine' and the other by Barnhouse and martin called 'The truth about seventh day adventists' . These books were sold to Adventists and in christian book stores. These discussions brought evangelicals and evangelical adventists closer and with greater understanding.

one factor that brought confusion was that Adventists have a range of beleifs from Arianism to the Trinity which exists even now and the evangelicals were unsure of what the offical position was because they presented papers with the church logo which presented both views. SDAs also have differing views on the gospel the coservatives teaching a works based salvation similar to the catholic church while the rest teach the protestant gospel of righteousness by faith.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The Amish practice severe shunning, much like Jw's from what I understand.

One significant difference is the Amish practice of allowing teenagers a period during which they are allowed to do pretty much what they want; sex, drugs, rock and roll, cars, different clothes, etc. When that period is over [wish I could remember the term for it - a german term], the youth must decide to join the church or not. After that, should he leave the church, or sin in significant ways, he is expelled and shunned by order of the local elders and bishops. If he elects to join the 'English' [the world], he is allowed family contacts and friendships later on in life. Though in principle Jw's say the same - in practice if one leaves, even before baptism, he/she is often pushed out of the nest and regarded as evil, sometimes shunned for life, depending on the lifestyle, and the local attitudes and pressure on the family that stays Jw.

Very few Amish leave the church after joining.

This is a significant point that Jw's have missed. They get 'em baptized at 8 or 9 or 11. Later they see that they want to 'taste' and see if all the wickedness is as wicked as portrayed - and they end up out of the organization.

I don't condone the Amish either - I think they are a cultish group too. But they tend to occupy in my mind more of a hard line traditional religious position - rather than totalitarian as Jw's are. They do little recruiting to their ranks either.

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary

I thought I read somewhere that when the Amish "shun" a member (say, for adultery or wearing buttons on their coats), it's limited to something like 6 weeks, not the years of shunning that the Dubs do......Anyone know if this is true? Or is their shunning life-long?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

At this point in time, excommunication is not the same as a disfellowshipping in the sense that Catholics are required to shun those who are excommunicated. Excommunication is basically when one is no longer 'allowed' to receive communion and I think it takes a lot for a person to be excommunicated.

Out of all the Catholics I know presently and have known throughout my life, none of them have ever agreed with the shunning policies of the jw's.

And yes, this tends to be a common feature of cults, not mainstream religions from what I have seen in my own research.

BSoM

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Although shunning isn't an official practice of the Roman Catholic church, some individuals like myself will be shunned by family for leaving.

And even though my family do associate with me now, I am VERY aware that I am treated as some kind of oddball. The same happens if I ever visit my old church. They all treat me like I have some fatal disease - sort of 'sympathetic to my plight' - that's probably because if I don't rejoin before I die, they think I'm gonna burn in hell for eternity...

I think someone else posted here a couple of days ago who gets the same sort of treatment from their RC family too.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Although shunning isn't an official practice of the Roman Catholic church, some individuals like myself will be shunned by family for leaving.

And even though my family do associate with me now, I am VERY aware that I am treated as some kind of oddball. The same happens if I ever visit my old church. They all treat me like I have some fatal disease - sort of 'sympathetic to my plight' - that's probably because if I don't rejoin before I die, they think I'm gonna burn in hell for eternity...

I think someone else posted here a couple of days ago who gets the same sort of treatment from their RC family too.

People sometimes mistakenly believe that by shunning them it will force them to come back, change 'behaviour patterns' or 'lifestyles' that are undesirable to the family/friends etc etc. I know a lovely RC woman right now whose son is falling into the hands of the jw's and she just maintains that this is her son and she is doing everything she can to make sure that both he and his wife know they will be loved unconditionally. On the other hand there are cases like you, where there is a lot of hurt. On a side note, I have met people who are completely apostate/df'ed and not only do their family still talk to them but some jw friends still do. I guess in the end, people still can think for themselves after all huh? (hope I didn't step on yer toes, sorry about your experience with your fam ) BSoM

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

Shunning for a punishment is limited to 6 weeks for the Amish. If the person wants to leave the faith all together then they will be shunned until they return to the Church. Although, in books that I have read there are degrees generally set when someone leaves so there maybe some contact(letters etc).

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

No probs BlackSwan

You know the crazy thing about my family is that most of them aren't even practising Catholics! I think it has more to do with the idea that I've 'betrayed' my Irish Catholic roots by 'deserting' to the Protestants.

As you say, we can all think for ourselves

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Do the Jews do some sort of 'shunning'?

I seem to remember a couple of movies (which doesn't make it a fact), where they shunned the children, and treated them as if they were dead.

Fiddler on the Roof

The Jazz Singer (Niel Diamond)

Regards,

Jim TX

• greendawn
    greendawn

The early Christians used to shun their members if they fell into one of the grave sins which were murder, adultery and idolatry/heresy. But many societies would shun or execute members that committed such sins.

For the many other fairly serious sins eg fornication, big scale thefts, my impression is that the early Christians shunned guilty members partially they wouldn't eat with them for example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit