Are Americans the prudes of the world?

by free2beme 23 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

It's rather sad to compare a country of the free world with the most extreme elements in the world like some Muslim countries in order to make a point.
    Every country has its different history which is responsible for much of what is viewed as acceptable or not. What we've got to understand is that these cultures have habits they THEMSELVES find mostly comfortable to live with whereas if an alien came there would experience a cultural shock. It as if we took deep-water fish and brought it to shallow surface waters, let alone out of the water, now she would find herself suddenly completely out of her "comfort" zone, wouldn't she. The same goes with cultural habits and what is acceptable to locals. What we've gotta learn is to be able to accept those differences without being judgmental, or if you can’t help it, then do not go there.

Of course it is not universal among Muslims. In one Muslim culture in North Africa it is traditional for the men to be completely veiled and the women to go completely nude in public. In some Muslim parts of Asia (parts of Maylasia and Indonesia) it was traditional for women to be nude in public until globalisation started affecting things after WWII.

lmao, where did you get that from hahaha.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    lmao, where did you get that from hahaha.

Indonesia used to be very liberal in that regard; it's only in the last few decades tha women have covered up more.

• zagor
    zagor

Did Indonesian women walked NUDE in public?

• Forscher
    Forscher
    where did you get that from hahaha.

There are several sources for that info out there. Probably the easiest is to search the National Geographic. I know for a fact they have that info, including a picture for a branch of the Berbers in North Africa. They also mention in an article about a famous Muslim world-traveler and writer his shock at seeing women walk around naked in public in Maylasia. And that was a few centuries ago. He was appointed as an administrator there and tried unsuccessfully to stop that practice.
    I've also seen pictures taken in Indonesia prior to WWII of women publically nude.
    Forscher

• Forscher
    Forscher
    It's rather sad to compare a country of the free world with the most extreme elements in the world like some Muslim countries in order to make a point.

Not when the writer who inspired the comparison was implying that it is the U.S. that is radically prudish.
    Forscher

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Did Indonesian women walked NUDE in public?

Topless. But covered up when they knew outsiders (tourists) were around.

Not when the writer who inspired the comparison was implying that it is the U.S. that is radically prudish.

The US has its moments. I was recently reading about the intense competition between US nudist destinations and the growing market they cater to.

• heathen
    heathen

I say bullshit . We drink big time and as far as nudity you can find that everywhere , usually topless women but there are nude bars , nudity to us is something to exsploit .LOL Drugs may be illegal in an attempt to keep it out of minors hands but you can still find it everywhere . I bet we have more alcohol related deaths than anything else in this country .

Heathen of the we do everything to extreme in the US class.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I agree Europe is so much more relaxed than the US when it comes to nudity and sex. Hey we're all human. You either have one set of parts or the other and everyone pretty much knows what they look like. I remember seeing bus ads in Germany featuring nudity. It was a shock at first but then you get over it.

The only thing that bugs me is nudity in clothing ads. Abercrombie for example. Most of the time their models aren't even wearing clothes! There's also a Jones Jeans billboard in LA and the model is isn't wearing any jeans! Just a bare butt. They must be selling invisible jeans.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The Brits are supposed to be more prudish than the French but I think it's more the attitude towards being liberally minded, the French are easy about it but the Brits have guilt complexes about it. However they both in fact behave in a similar way.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I think many americans may be too puritanic. But, on the other hand, I think the French lack modesty about sexuality and the display of the human body. Naked women are displayed in many commercials and TV films. Sometimes I even feel like being modest is an abnormal condition in this country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit