Greatest love of all. Whitney Houston.

by Spectrum 22 Replies latest social relationships

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

What a beautiful song!!

I was playing this song when my JW sister was in my room, I said to her listen to the words, did you hear that,
    "the greatest love all is happening to me, I found the greatest love of all inside of me ...... ... learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all"

She just totally dismissed it with a wave of her hand, like it was taboo. I couldn't believe it I thought she might have agreed that it was a good sentiment. But no stone cold. Maybe they are programmed to only love WTBS.

Anybody experienced something like this ie stone cold rejection for something good.

BTW.

What songs lift your soul?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Funny that this song should be dismissed by a JW.

The man who wrote it, George Benson, became a very active JW. I'm not sure, but I would guess that he performed this song at his concerts even after he converted.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

well it does make me wanna puke that track!

• juni
    juni

Maybe she feels that loving herself is a form of idolatry?

Juni

• Gopher
    Gopher

How can any Bible reader think loving oneself is wrong?

Wasn't Jesus quoted as saying you must love your neighbor AS yourself? You could not do this if you didn't love yourself in the first place.

Of course, among groups like JW's, concern for oneself is sublimated -- the group and ITS nebulous goals are all-important.

• atypical
    atypical

In my area, in the circle of witnesses I was around, that song was considered very out of line with Witness teaching, even though we were also well aware that it was George Benson's song, and all liked Benson because he was a JW. It is a very good example of skewed witness thinking.

• Scully
    Scully

The Watchtower is so fond of reminding JWs to "not think more of oneself than is necessary" and that self-sacrifice is better than being self-serving or self-sparing.

I know many people who interpret this to mean that looking after anything more than the basic necessities of life means that they are "selfish" and "egotistical". I was counselled about that myself, when I wanted to join a gym, way back when. The Suggestion™ was that my money would be better utilized by donating it to the WTS. I wanted to LMAO right then and there, but knew it would be certain to put me in the Jezebel class (where I eventually wound up anyway). LOL

• startingover
    startingover

The words of that song mean alot to me. I think learning to love yourself is the only way to have normal self esteem. Being a JW robbed me of any self esteem I might have had. When I was still a JW I was riding with an elder when that song came on and I told him I agreed with what was said that it is the greatest love of all. He looked at me real funny. I firmly believe it's not possible to love someone else if you don't love yourself.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Hmmm. Didn't realize George Benson was involved in this song. The web says:

GREATEST LOVE OF ALL. written by Michael Masser and Linda Creed

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

George Bensen did sing the song first. I think that the song was made for the movie "The Greatest" (I think that is the title). A movie about Muhammad Ali. Whitney made it next. Remember "I Will Always Love You" was sang by Dolly Parton first.

There's a song, which was song by Chaka Khan first, that Whitney also sang "I'm Every Woman".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit