My District Convention Is Being Held At An Assembly Hall

by enlightenedcynic 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

If this topic has been discussed previously, I apologize, but next week I unfortunately must attend the DC which is being held at the local Assembly Hall. There are benefits to this as I don't have to rent a car or room for myself and family. The downside to this is that it will now be harder to miss segments of the program or an entire day without being scrutinized. When I or the family miss any days at the CA's, we get, "Where were you sitting at yesterday?" or "Where you there today/yesterday?...I didn't see you!!!!". I am so used to the arenas and stadiums where you could dissappear for a while to the bathroom or your car or across the road to a Starbucks or something, but not anymore. Has this been a practice in other cities? Is this the future of all DC's? In one way the WTS saves money, but it seems to me that they lose in another way. So much of the DC's success, in my opinion , is based on the sight of the "large throngs of people streaming to the waters of Jehovah". The average JW gets all excited at seeing 10-20 thousand packed into an arena....(must mean that Jehovah is with us). The assembly hall that I attend holds 3,000 - 4,000 max. Not quite the same emotional and visual effect!

Your Thoughts

ec

• metatron
    metatron

It's generally not that hard to 'slip away' if you protest that you are 'feeling dizzy' or getting a migraine. Other than that, just show up

at the beginning and end and get noticed .. and skip the rest.

metatron

• under_believer
    under_believer

There is a big trend towards having more and smaller DCs than before. As an example, in the Pacific Northwest of the US, they used to have a DC in Tacoma, WA for much of the surrounding tri-state area (OR, WA, and ID) but they are now having one in Portland, OR and also in Tacoma, WA.
    Some have posited a profit-based motive for this, though I personally feel the supporting evidence is inconclusive.

• juni
    juni

They're probably just using it as an overflow solution for the area. I don't believe there would be enough JW owned assembly halls to hold all of the people. I know that the CA bldg. for our area use to be used every weekend except for one - for cleaning.

But yes, it would be much harder - really impossible - to make a run for the hills. All of these righteous eyes watching for bro/sis Weak or Trouble.

Juni

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

When I have attended an assembly at a 'bought and paid for' assembly hall, they always say that the expenses for the assembly run into the thousands! I haven't contributed a dime for years now, but how is it possible to ask for so much money from the circuit (or district) just to pay for lighting, water, and cleaning materials?
    Dave (still a primate, but I don't need no education)

• lawrence
    lawrence

Why waste your time? If ducking out is the issue... Day 1, come in with a large shout, take a fall, and poor you...that's the end of the spiritual feast (beast). Do it early, so you don't miss Jerry Springer on the tube.

• headmath
    headmath

It is simple math. Conventions are EXPENSIVE! The WTS saves big bucks by breaking up the big dist assemblies into smaller ones. It amounts to really just another meeting at the kingdom hall. I used to dream of sittin in the KH for 2 1/2 hours while the world was enjoying the sunshine!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Nassau coliseum supposedly raised their rates, so they decided to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and hold them in stanley, queens, and brooklyn assembly halls

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I heard the same thing about Nassau coliseum raising their rates. I like the stanley, I may catch one day.

• penny2
    penny2

ec, don't you feel a flu coming on??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit