Do you recall (Blondie or others)

by Poztate 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Poztate,

You are not losing it. WT has been paranoid about men being alone with women, while in service, bible studies, return visits, etc.

My sister in law got so nutty that for about a year or so she didn't want me in the house with her alone.I remember the incident but damm I can't remember the year (or even decade) Late 70's or early to mid 80's

• blondie
    blondie

looking-glass, are you saying they convened a JC to accuse some sister of sex with her brother just because they shared a room????

Sickos or desperate for a reason to DF her.

But then you know that elders are taught by the WTS that sex only happens at night.

From the elders manual:

Strong circumstantial evidence, such as pregnancy or evidence (testified to by at least two witnesses) that the accused stayed all night in the same house with a person of the opposite sex (or in the same house with a known homosexual) under improper circumstances, is acceptable.”

Blondie

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

This is true! It's a written rule in Bethel, i believe it's in the Dwelling Together in Unity manual. I think an old version is posted somewhere.

In Bethel, you knew a Bethelite was visiting a single sister when the door was wide open, not only wide open but they had to be within view.

wac- XBetheliteXlder

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I think it goes back to Russell's time. Here is the "Vow" that he urged all his followers to take. Notice particularly the last part:

"Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. May thy rule come into my heart more and more, and thy will be done in my mortal body. Relying on the assistance of thy promised grace to help in every time of need, through Jesus Christ our Lord, I register this vow. Daily will I remember at the throne of heavenly grace the general interests of the harvest work, and particularly the share which I myself am privileged to enjoy in that work, and the dear co-laborers at the Bible House, Allegheny. I vow to still more carefully, if possible, scrutinize my thoughts and words and doings, to the intent that I may be the better enabled to serve these, and thy dear flock. I vow to thee that I will be on the alert to resist everything akin to Spiritism and Occultism, and that remembering that there are but the two masters I shall resist these snares in all reasonable ways, as being of the Adversary. I further vow that, with the exceptions below, I will at all times and at all places, conduct myself toward those of the opposite sex in private exactly as I would do with them in public--in the presence of a congregation of the Lord's people, and so far as reasonably possible I will avoid being in the same room with any female alone, unless the door to the room stand wide open--wife, children, mother and sisters excepted.'"

It was published in the June 1908 Watchtower. Reprints p. 4191. The article that contains it can be read here: http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbv5/r4190.htm

or you can read it in the pdf file of the 1908 bound volume at:

http://www.reexamine.info/watchtowers/wt1908.PDF

Personally, I think this was an overreaction on Russell's part after the so-called "jellyfish" scandal.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Didn't find anything specifically about relatives. Just picked the following along the way, fwiw:

Is it all right to call alone upon one of the opposite sex if interest is manifested in the truth?

When we are doing house-to-house work, witnessing on the street or elsewhere, we witness to all who will listen, whether male or female. If interest is found, it is our desire to make arrangements for a return call to establish a home Bible study. It can be readily appreciated that some interest could not be followed up and studies started if it were said that in no case may such a call be made alone on a member of the opposite sex.

Whether one goes alone to make return visits on an interested person of the opposite sex or not is left up to each one’s discretion, depending upon various circumstances in each case. The matter of safety and avoiding wrong appearances definitely should be given due consideration. We certainly do not want to stumble others in or outside Jehovah’s organization, or put ourselves in a position of danger.—2 Cor. 6:3.

If circumstances are such that one decides to go alone, it is usually best for the call to be made or study held when the husband, wife, or another member of the family is at home.

Often circumstances may well suggest that it would be wise to take along another publisher on the call. Remember how innocent Joseph was "framed" by one of the opposite sex. (Gen. 39:7-20) If circumstances suggest that you do not go alone, and it is not possible to apply the above suggestions, you can give the call to a publisher or pioneer of the same sex to handle.

Kingdom Ministry 8/72

· What cautions are needed when we are in association with someone of the opposite sex in connection with our ministry?

We have reason to expect that our brothers and sisters intend to adhere to the highest moral standard in their personal conduct. Nevertheless, we live in an unclean and permissive world that has few moral limitations. While we may have the best of intentions, we must be on guard constantly to avoid causing reproach or getting involved in something improper. This includes being careful while engaged in the ministry.

In field service we often encounter people of the opposite sex who manifest what appears to be a sincere interest in the truth. If we are alone when we make the call and there is no one else at home, usually it would be best to give a witness at the door rather than go inside. If there is interest, arrangements can be made to return when we will be accompanied by another publisher or when others in the household will be present also. If this is not possible, it would be wise to turn the call over to a publisher of the same sex as the householder. This also applies to conducting Bible studies with someone of the opposite sex.—Matt. 10:16.

We need to be careful when choosing someone to work with in the ministry. Although publishers of the opposite sex may work together at times, this is best done when with a group. Ordinarily, even while in the ministry, it is not wise for us to be spending time alone with someone of the opposite sex who is not our marriage mate. Hence, the brother in charge of the service group should use good judgment when assigning publishers, including teenagers, to work together.

By always using good judgment, we will avoid "giving any cause for stumbling" to either ourselves or others.—2 Cor. 6:3.

Kingdom ministry 5/97

Btw the "Bethel vow" is also in the 1975 Yearbook, p. 52.

• nelly136
    nelly136

when my parents split up (mid 80'ish) my geriatric grand dad was told he couldnt stay at my mums any more as 'people' would take it the 'wrong way' a single woman living with an elderly man blah blah

i asked who would be filthy minded enough to put that kind of connotation on a practically blind old man staying at his daughter-in-laws (the neighbours wouldnt have batted an eyelid ) and was told it was stumbling to others and my grandad would have to stay elsewheres.

• blondie
    blondie

will avoid being in the same room with any female alone, unless the door to the room stand wide open--wife, children, mother and sisters excepted.'"

Yes, this has been a "rule" for many years; but why apply it to blood relatives. Obviously, this says that a brother could be in the same room as a female sibling with the door shut.

The story about the daughter-in-law not being able to stay and take care of her FIL is sick. Did they provide a good home for him then or did she have to pay someone to do it? Would it have made a difference if she had a husband living with them? What about those times the husband was not at home?

The WTS excels in making "GNAT" things more important the the "CAMEL" issues they gulp down (requiring 2 eyewitnesses to a child being molested to do anything judicially and not turning the molester into the police unless "Caesar" requires it).

Blondie

• mouthy
    mouthy

"Do not give the appearance of evil"was quoted to me when I was asked to visit an older brother..."Take a chaperon with you" I was well into my 50s....I asked why??? "Well people who see you go in may think something is going on"!!!!

What is that quotation? "Evil do those who evil think????

• blondie
    blondie

That's true, that the WTS requires chaperones when with someone of the opposite sex...but your own brother (sister), your own father (mother), your own son (daughter). I would not be able to be alone with my own brother in my house? Or out in door to door? Or share an apartment?

Blondie

• zeroday
    zeroday

I bought a new home 3 years ago and a dear old sister (74) had bought me a house warming gift. So I went to her house and she was only going to give it to me at the door. She is an artist and when I got there said come on in and see this painting I am working on. So I went in and we had a very pleasant conversation for about 15 minutes. When I was leaving she said (half joking)"well I guess there is going to by a JC now" I said why and she said we were alone in my house. Amazing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit