The Five People You Meet in Heaven

by eyeslice 10 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Just finished reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.
    Basic story is that a guy dies and has to meet and learn five lessons on his way to his personal heaven.
    Who would be your five(they have to be dead of course)?
    Mine, in no particular order
    1. Jesus - a lot of questions to ask him
    2. Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)
    3. Mahatma Gandhi
    4. Charles Dickens
    5. Beethovan

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

1. My auntie who just passed away

2. My grandfather I never knew

3. My father

4. My great-great-grandmother who immigrated to this country

5. My pinko great-grandmother

I think I just used up my five....

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Eyeslice. Jesus is all five rolled into one.

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

1) My Mom.

2) My Dad

3) God, I know he is not considered people unless Jesus counts as people. God is a person.

4) My Sister who died young.

5) My two brothers who died young

Blueblades

• sandy
    sandy

Wasn't this a beautiful book!!! I loved it sooooo much, especially the end. I cried.... I thought it was so touching. Ok, I can't really think of anyone I'd like to meet. I guess God if there is one.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

1)Hypatia, the director of the library at Alexandria, who was murdered by a Christian mob because she was a woman who had the nerve to teach men, and because the information contained in the library where she worked disproved many Christian dogmas. 2) Pytheas, a Greek who sailed possibly as far as Iceland about 300 B.C.E. searching for the source of tin ore used to make bronze. 3) Democritus, who in 425 B.C.E. described the Milky Way as a cloud of stars with planets around them, and specified that only SOME of those planets were capable of supporting life. 4) Boadicea, the Celtic warrior queen who fought the Roman invaders in the first century, at roughly the time some of the gospels were written, and that Paul was writing some of his letters. 5) Carl Sagan, astronomer and scientist.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi Sandy
    It is a lovely book. I read it all in a day.
    The ending is great - I just hope that all our endings wills be the same.
    Eyeslice

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The five people in the book weren't of the main character's choosing, they were there to make sense of his life. If the premise were accurate, I am sure we'd be surprised who we meet....

My five (I think)

1. My childhood friend, Janet. I was never the friend to her that I should have been in the years we knew each other. We lost touch in our late teens. Shortly after I left the JWs and could have got in touch with her, she died. I wish that I could tell her I am sorry, but in my heart of hearts I know she has gone. Her life is over, I can't apologise or make it good, and she never knew. Atheism means do the right thing NOW, because if you mess someone up, Jesus isn't going to make it all better.

2. My Gran. She never received a birthday card or Christmas card or gift from me. She was capable of manipulation and emotional blackmail, but she just accepted my family's behaviour. Now I am part of a normal family, I truly understand how hard it was for her to be ignored at those special times. She is gone, it's too late. I suppose I should extend this to all of my grandparents, that would make five, but it is Gran I laways think of.

As for the rest...I have no idea. Will Mr. Fe2O3 be waiting so we can have one more bottle of champagne sat in the corner of a garden, the way we did on our wedding day?

Edited to add: 3. My first son. I don't believe that a 20-week old foetus is hanging around in the afterlife for the next 50 years waiting for me - actually I think the idea is monstrous. But he was our first baby. Maybe he would pop in to thank me for not letting him suffer.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

wow Fe203Girl & gaiagirl dug deep

Well heaven is a strange concept but I'll have a beer with:

1) St.Brendan the 8th century Irish monk who travelled to Canada in a leather boat (meticulously re-enacted in the mid '70's).

2) Ian Ildries Australian historian/writer extraudinaire.

3) Nikoli Tesla electrical genius

4) Victor Shwarberger water genius

5) Mungo Man a man who lived over 40,000 years ago at Lake Mungo Australia.

• Scully
    Scully
    It is a lovely book. I read it all in a day.

I read the book last summer... one of those books you can't put down.

I haven't thought about who I'd meet... I guess that comes from not believing in an afterlife. I suppose that means that if I have unfinished business with people, I have to do it before I'm done living.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit