Serving with a date in mind.

by Fleshybirdfodder 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

My parents had a "feeling" that the end would come in October 1994. I have no clue what this was based on, but I remember this was preceeded by other "feelings" about when the end would come that didn't materialize. I guess they just did it to get keep the feeling of urgency since the end was "just around the corner". My dad was an elder and I don't remember anyone making a stink about it when he voiced his ideas in service... just a big hearty chuckle all around with a "you may be right!"

• Honesty
    Honesty

Wasn't that about the time the Faithful Slave found a different light bulb in the pantry?

• under_believer
    under_believer

My mom (and a lot of other Witnesses actually) are in the midst of having a "feeling" like that right now. I'm sure it's something that some Witness somewhere is always feeling, but incidences of it seem to be up at the moment.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    Wasn't that about the time the Faithful Slave found a different light bulb in the pantry?

Heeeheehee! I've never heard it put that way before.

• Satanus
    Satanus

When i was in, the management criticised those who served w a date in mind. But, serving w the thought that the end is really close, or that the time is urgent is the same thing, really. Catholics got over this kind of apocalyptic thinkling 1700 yrs ago.

S

• Highlander
    Highlander

apocalyptic thinkling

For some reason that strikes me as funny.

You combine two words,, the act of 'tinkling' and thinking and what do you get? Thinkling. Is that what I do when I'm taking a leak?

• pmouse
    pmouse

Isn't that "having a feeling" thing similar to psychic ability and the occult? Maybe you'd better remind them and then screw up your eyes funny, point at them and scream at the top of your lungs "DEMONZ!!!!"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Even in my life time, the dubs have had 'feelings' and evidence that the end is close. All through the sixties to the present, the state of the world has been seen to be so bad that "It can't last much longer , can it?". .....Wishful thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit