Sgt. Peter Damon sues Michael Moore for $85 Million

by coffee_black 24 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Seems Michael Moore was using some of the same tricks the Watchtower uses (taking quotes entirely out of context)

Interesting...Makes you wonder what else was misrepresented in the film.

Coffee

Injured Vet Sues Michael Moore For $85 Million

Jon Keller
    Reporting

(CBS4) MIDDLEBORO A local veteran who lost parts of both of his arms in Iraq, is suing filmmaker Michael Moore. Sgt. Peter Damon says Moore recycled old news footage and used it in a way that made Damon seem anti-war.

The snip-it appears in Moore’s film "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Sgt. Peter Damon, a father of two from Middleboro, strongly supports the war effort in Iraq and never agreed to appear in Moore’s movie. He is now suing for $85 million.

"I didn't lose my arms over there to come back and be used as ammunition against my commander in chief," said Damon.

Damon was interviewed by NBC in 2003 while being treated at Walter Reed Army Hospital. The interview was about a new painkiller being used on injured soldiers. Damon says he did not express any views on the war itself in that interview.
    Michael Moore used a clip from that interview in "Fahrenheit 9/11." It shows Damon lying on a gurney, saying he feels like he’s being "crushed in a vice."

The scene appears in a sequence that talks about how the government is abandoning veterans.

"The original interview was supposed to be someting positive about the treatment we were receiving, not an attack, not something to be used in a story about veterans being left behind, because as you can see behind me, I am the last person to talk about being left behind," said Damon.

You may recall Peter Damon threw out the first pitch at Fenway Park after returning home to Middleboro. The non-profit group Homes For Our Troops also built a home for the Damon family, specially designed for Peter’s physical needs.

The lawsuit also names NBC, Miramax, and other production companies.

CBS4's Jon Keller reached out to Moore's office with no response. Damon's lawyer says the case could take a year to make it to court.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_151102350.html

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Good ! I can't stand that scraggly, unshaven faced, pinhead.

Dismembered

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes he was a poop head on the war thing, but i am really looking forward to his expose on healthcare in usa. There have been reports he's been just showing up at hospitals and trying to talk to staff (hoping someone will dish dirt) and staff are being told not to talk to him. but also hear he is talking to disgruntled patients now. alright. here comes the dirt.

michael, if you are for some strange reason reading jwd, pm me .I know where some stories are at.

I'll never forget here in this area the expose on the HIV care received at the county hospital. (back 80's/90's) it made the news b/c the people who were now having to use the county hospital were previously middle to higher income persons (now disabled) who had no clue what the poor have to endure to get healthcare. They were appalled at what they saw. For the poor, well, it was not news, it was life as they know it. For the poor, well, another day in paradise.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Dis: I'm with you. Double good.

Warlock

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I agree Wednesday that healthcare is a mess...but I'd rather see someone with credibility do it. Once this story really hits, and the full story is known, Michael Moore won't ever be taken seriously again IMO. I heard the Sgt. interviewed on the radio this morning. Michael is all done.

Coffee

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Well, you that know me...know I adore Michael Moore and am sure he's innocent....

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

the guy could win his suit but the amount sought seems very excessive for a false light claim. (for one thing only persons that actually know the guy would possibly change their opinion of his reputation and character and most of the "damage" is minimized just by his public explanation of the facts and circumstance of his comments. I see this one settling out of court for far less than what he is seeking.

As for the misuse, it doesn't seem to be extremely eggregious and not on par with some of the deliberate misleading engaged in my the WT so I would hardly compare the two.

Michael Moore is a patriot. We need dissenting voices in order to have a transparent society.

-Eduardo

• Panda
    Panda

People like MM will always be good at dishing IT out but never really part of the solution. Actions would speak much louder than his words. A good example dealing with healthcare issues would be Robin Williams. Williams totally bankrolled Chris Reeves medical needs after Reeves insurance gave out. Yup he paid the bills for his friend. Now I'm supposing that MM has some old buddies sans health insurance, is he paying their bills? Or how about funding a clinic? I recall he considered himself a big deal for giving away mens underpants (one per college student), I think college students could use more support. Heck aren't MM's daughters attending expensive Ivy League schools? Maybe he could establish ... sheesh what am I thinking, this blow hard won't do anything for other people.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Wow! Imagine everyone who Michael Moore misrepresented, decided to sue him. The fat bastard would be in the hole for billions!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I remember the clip. It's borderline; one certainly is given an impression BUT that is not due to anything explict in the segment, and if it's not explcit I don't think he'll get anywhere

Funny how people get pissed with MM doing what the Bush administration did...

How come it is okay to be deceptive in the presentation of Millitary "Intelligence" so as to gather support for millitary action costing trillions of dollars and thousands of lives, but NOT okay to highlight the suffering of one soldier in illustrating the long-term concequences of the conflict.

Even if that soldier will stand up (no pun intended) and say he supported the invasion, why is is wrong to point out he and others will be suffering every single day because of a war started on false pretexts?

I wonder if the family of the dead, stiff, crispy Iraqui baby also featured in Farenheit 9/11 will sue him for showing people the damage war does?

How come people are so far less happy to talk about that bit of the documentary?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit