Went to my Uncle's Lutheran Funeral

by Seeker4 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• willyloman
    willyloman

Back when I was seriously thinking of leaving the dub organization, I had a really nice co-worker who was 60-year-old lesbian. She treated me with respect and despite my JW training, I felt the same way about her. When her mother died she asked me if I'd come to the funeral at a local Presbyterian church where her mother had been active.

I had that same "fear of church cooties" described above, but I went with some other co-workers and sat right up front with the woman and her family. While the woman sat hand in hand with her long-time female partner, the minister delivered a loving eulogy of the mother, talking at length about her life, her achievements, her love for her church and her god.

Then family members, including both the woman I worked with and her partner, paraded to the podium to take turns telling very touching personal stories about "mom."

I left cootie-free and filled with a sense that there was more going on in this life, and the next, than I had been willing to admit. It was another in a series of profound changes that led me on the path to religious freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit