Are JWs Discouraged From Seeing The Da Vinci Code?

by Seeker4 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Dismembered:

Perhaps you were dozing when Watchtower made a BIG deal about that movie. I was a dyed-in-the wool dubass when that movie 1st hit the big screen, and, like well trained dubbies, my wife & I walked out of that movie. As a matter of fact the only one I've ever walked out on.

It just occurred to me that even though I've been an exJW for over a decade, I've never seen that movie. We have it in our video collection too. Guess what I'll be doing today....

• Scully
    Scully

Joe Grundy:

On the subject of the bible canon and the excluded writings (and I suspect that more previously unknown texts will come to light in the future) - one issue that intrigues me is why WTBTS is happy to accept the canon as established by RC authorities. How do they get round this?

This will, indeed, be interesting. How do they square the idea of ALL scripture being inspired with the concept of "gospels" being excluded on the basis of whether they supported a male heirarchy, not on the basis of the Holy Spirit's leadings?

• blondie
    blondie

Dismembered, I remember all the hoopla about the Temple of Doom because several Bethelites I knew had gone to see it, of course, under the cloak of darkness so they would not be seen. That gave me some insight into the special "holiness" and obedience of Bethelites.

Blondie

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Nothing has been, nor will be said about it beause movies are deemed conscience matters. I really think its up to the individual quirkiness of the particular cong. and elder body if anything is said to someone who sees it and openly admits it. I saw Xmen 3 on Friday and when one of the other elders found out (because his son went with us) he says to me "doesnt that show promote evolution and isnt it pretty violent?" I said "yes it was violent but your son seemed all into it just like I was". That shut him up.

• sir82
    sir82
    Unofficially, in the last 5 years, certain COs have told elder bodies that elders and MS could be removed for going to R-rated movies. I never heard of that happening so I wonder if it was an individual quirk of that CO or just an empty threat.

Believe it or not, about 3 years ago, our CO asked if congregation members should be "disciplined" for seeing R-rated movies. All the gung-ho wanna-be brown nosers shot their hands up and proceeded to pontificate about the evils of R-rated movies, etc.

Finally, the CO said we shouldn't rely on movie ratings, we should follow our conscience exclusively in deciding what movies to see. He seemed to be hinting broadly, if not outright saying it, that "certain" R-rated movies might be acceptable, if your conscience permitted it. It was actually a rare, reasonable moment in an elder's meeting.

The silence of the self-righteous was profound.

So, I suspect that each CO has their viewpoint on the matter.

Back to the thread topic, I haven't heard the matter discussed one way or the other. There is a kind of "code of silence" regarding movies here, if you go to see a somewhat controversial movie, fine, but don't go blabbing about it to Sister Over-Sensitive.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Scully,

Just be sure you close your eyes @ the "demonized parts".

and Greetings Blondie,

Aren't those Bethelites something. So surreptitious & stealthy. Remember too that Jehovah can't see in those dark cinemas.

Dismembered

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

""Perhaps you were dozing when Watchtower made a BIG deal about that movie. I was a dyed-in-the wool dubass when that movie 1st hit the big screen, and, like well trained dubbies, my wife & I walked out of that movie. As a matter of fact the only one I've ever walked out on.""

Interesting. Yet when I saw the movie, we went with a large group of witnesses, including several elders. Sorry but I believe that this many have been the personal opinion of the speaker. You are free to believe as you wish of course.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

perhaps the biggest fear of the churches is that people, in trying to find THE TRUTH, will discover the really dirty secret... the more you dig the more you find the possibility that the entire gospel is a work of fiction and Jesus is just a re-write of older myths like Mithras, Dionysius, Bacchus, Adonis, Apollo, Tammuz, Osiris and others.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board The Dreamer!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit