Ruling restricts shunning practices

by nelly136 14 Replies latest jw friends

• magoo
    magoo

happy birthday, gumby

magoo

• wednesday
    wednesday

This is very interesting. thing. They have forced a store owner to sell to a shunned person. Some may not feel this applies to jws, but if you live in a small community and do not have too many places to choose to shop it could have an impact. I most certainly have known jws who would refuse to work for the df'd. A family member might chose to briefly associate with a df family member for business reasons, but this generally means, ie, funerals, wills etc. Most would not choose to stay in a busines with a family mmeber. So the WT use of the word"busines" does not literally mean business, they mean family affairs.

I used to see those signs "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" etc, but as somone pointed out, they open the way for major violations. How can you prove it was not racial or religious or political or whatever. Now the signs that used to say "no shoes , so shirt , no service" those are pretty clear and I have no problem with them. however I don't see them much anymore either.

Really, if you own a store that sells stuff to the public, how can you refuse to serve someone unless they were actually in your store causing trouble? and then it's not that you are refusing to serve them, it is they are breaking the laws and likley you may be calling the police for a disturbance. so that sign "I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, " it may have seen it's day. people here in the south used that sign to refuse to serve blacks, mexicans and whomever else fell on their personal shite list.

I too have ran a small business at one time and sure there may hae been those I would not have served,but it would have been based on business reasons. another area where this really could be abused is real estate. years ago when we first sold a home we owned, the neighbors were livid that we sold to mexicans. but The real estate people can't refuse to sell a house to somone based on race, nor could we have or did we want to refuse to sell based on that. but it caused quiet a diagreemnt among the neighbors.

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

i think wednesday is on the right track. we went through this as "freaks"( remember the fabulous furry freak brothers?) in the 60's and 70's. you would go into a buisiness and they would tell you " we don't serve freaks like ya'll" and point to their always prominent we reserve the right sign and if you didn't leave you knew there was going to be a fight and you were more than likely going to jail. it wasn't fair, but it was. i have always felt that if you were "open to the public" that meant me and you and everyone else. we've lived in or traveled through some pretty remote places where not selling you gasoline or not selling you food just cannot be a legal option. and not doing business with you meant that you had to go elsewhere or make other arrangements. which made it a difficult to stay and easier to move kind of situation.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

A true business person would be deliberately colour-blind in their own self-interest. They wouldn't give a flying leap about the colour of the customer, just the colour of their money.

Stephanus,

of the "Money talks in my business, no matter what its language!" class

• Swan
    Swan
    Hasn't anyone ever seen those "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" signs?

Those signs might look official, but legally their bark is worse than their bite. You have to have a darn good reason to exclude someone from your place of business, and it usually has to be tied to a specific behavior (no shirt, no shoes, etc) or criminal act. It is best to call the police; then they can tell the customer that they need to leave because of such-and-such bad behavior. They will warn them if they return, they will be charged with trespassing. However, if the police even catch a hint that you are discriminating against the customer based on race, etc. it could all blow up in your face.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit