DaVinci Code & "Mankind's Search for God"

by proplog2 19 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

The Watchtower doesn't want its members to see the Da Vinci Code. Why?

Probably for the same reason they don't want its members to read their book "Mankind's Search for God"

They went to the trouble of researching and publishing this attractive well illustrated book. They even put it in a format for study with the questions for each paragraph placed at the bottom of the page.

It was released 16 years ago (1990). For a couple years after its release the Kingdom Ministry encouraged special months where the book was to be featured at the door.

But since then it seems to have been placed on the clearance list. Every once in a while they encourage the publishers to clear out some of the older pre-1987 books in special campaigns. In 2000 and 2001 they also encouraged congregations that had copies of Mankinds Search to offer them during the special clearance campaigns.

Since 1990 we have studied many publications twice but we have never studied the Mankinds Search book. This in spite of the fact that there has been a special effort to reach out to people in the USA who are from areas of the world where our work is banned ie. China and Moslem Countries.

You would think that after the 9-11 attack they would want to broaden their membership's knowledge of other religions especially the Moslem religion.

The book has been effectively back-shelved.

The DaVinci code makes people question the mythological basis for Christianity. It makes people think about "alternative" sources for the history of Christianity. The end result is at least the creation of doubt about ALL such ancient sources of "truth".

The book Mankind's Search for God will NEVER be studied at the congregation book study groups. They don't want their members to read things like the following study questions:

What are some manifestations of the world’s various religions?

What does the history of religious devotion indicate?

In what way do most people have some form of religious devotion in their lives?

Does religion make an impact on the modern world? Illustrate.

Why is it not wrong to examine other faiths?

What factors usually determine a person’s religion?

Why is it not reasonable to assume that the religion of one’s birth is automatically approved by God?

What benefits are there in examining other religions?

Why should we not hate those whose religious thinking differs from ours?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Why is it not reasonable to assume that the religion of one’s birth is automatically approved by God?

Why should we not hate those whose religious thinking differs from ours?

Geez, it makes you wonder how the book ever passed inspection with those kind of probing questions. They would make people start thinking, and we couldn't have that, could we?

• vomit
    vomit

It was the only book I ever liked.

I especialy loved the section on Shinto, buddhism, eastern religions.

The results from my search for god. I am not mearly and athiest I am a nihilist.
    I live in Japan, I have visited almost every country in asia that book mentions.
    I have visited shinto shrines, temples, places of worship, even the coln dome.
    Mankind is so deluded. JWs seem to be the worst.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Vomit:

I like the book because it actually attempts to show the importance of choosing a correct premise on which to base your conclusions. Unfortunately its main premise is that the Bible is so much older than other ancient writings. If we followed that reasoning they should still be studying the seven volumes of the Studies in the Scriptures.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

"Mankind's Search for God" is the only book (other than a NWT) which I kept when I disposed of my box of JW literature. Although biased to cast other religions in a poor light (i.e. how they don't follow the Bible according to JW interpretation), if one reads between the lines, some idea of what those other religions teach can be seen.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

From the "Mankinds Search " book p8 p11:

"Knowledge leads to understanding, and understanding to tolerance of people with a different viewpoint"

We can't have Dubs examining their own religion let alone others. How will they shun the exdubs who have knowledge and understanding of the WT own history, let alone those evil people who only practice other faiths because they stubbornly refuse to accept WT crappola?

Respect and tolerance do not exist in any meanngful sense in the JW world.

HB

• loosie
    loosie

Wow are the writers of this book still in bethel? or did they get kicked out?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was told by an elder that it was a reference book and we never studied "Insight on the Scriptures" in bookstudies, so why would we study this reference book? I enjoyed it, mainly because it was so wrong on so many things. Plus, it ignored on of the well known and oldest religions, Wicca.

• proplog2
    proplog2

freetobeme:

The elder told you wrong. It was a book with questions at the bottom corresponding to the numbered paragraphs. That means "study book".

Who wrote the book? Does Barabara Anderson have any insight into how that book was viewed by the writers?

• free2beme
    free2beme

The reason to my thinking, is that is how the elder explained away the idea that we never studied it. I remember many times, when we waited to hear the next topic to be covered, that we hoped for this book. I also remember how annoyed when we learned we were covering books like "The Greatest Man" or the "Revelations" book again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit