DISCTRICT OVERSEER PREACHING URBAN FOLKLORE

by What-A-Coincidence 13 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

that was the question the District Overseer asked a group of pioneers in
    the pioneer meeting.

"Can a bumblebee Fly"? Of course most of the audience thought for a minute then all nodded "yes". Then he said that actually they can't-not according
    to scientist
    . Everything about the bumblebee-it's shape, body weight
    compared to it's ultra light wings, indicates that it should not be able
    to fly at all.

So, why does the bumblebee fly?

The Creator makes it fly...

Then he asked: "Can you pioneer"? The answer is of course not: not
    according to the pressures and trials of this system. So how is it that
    we're able to

pioneer: The Creator causes us to pioneer...

The point is there is NOTHING we can do on our own.

With everything we can only accomplish things with the Creators help...

He talked about Peter walking on water .We know it wasn't an act of faith.
    He only was able to walk on water because of Jesus. Then when he saw the
    storm coming he fell through the water and almost drowned. He said
    sometimes we think too hard. We're so busy in Jehovah's service doing
    things no one thought we could do-not even ourselves. In essence we're
    walking on water because of Jehovah.

Then we start thinking: "WAIT A MINUTE! What am I doing? I'm pioneering!
    I'm working! I got stuff to do around the house! I've got kids! Oh no!
    This is all of a sudden getting really hard the more I think about it! Oh,
    I'm getting ssssoooooo tired! I'm not supposed to be doing this! This is
    too much! Oh my goodness!

I'm..........falling through the water......

It was a good point, that sometimes we discourage ourselves by thinking
    too much
    , worrying too much, looking at the storm, and taking our eyes off
    of the one who makes the bees fly...

Let's bash this up in two steps. 1) The dumb ass illustration used by the D.O. is a urban folklore 2) Talk about misapplication. The creator causes us to pioneer? What a load of crock! It's not even scriptural! If so, why in the world are they lowering the hours?

http://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/~ben/zetie1.htm

One favourite subject that people raise is the old line about scientists having proved that the bumble-bee cannot fly. It's a much loved piece of urban folklore.

But how did the myth about bees not being able to fly start? When does the story date back to? J McMasters states that the story was prevalent in the German technical universities in the 1930s, starting with the students of the aerodynamicist Ludwig Prandtl at G6ttingen. The story goes that a noted Swiss aerodynamicist, whom McMasters does not name, was talking to a biologist at dinner. The biologist asked about the flight of bees and the Swiss gentleman did a "back-of-the-napkin" calculation of the kind I described earlier, assuming a rigid, smooth wing and so on. Of course, he found that there was insufficient lift and went off to find out the correct answer.
    In the meantime, the biologist put the word around that bees could got fly, presumably to show that nature was greater than engineering, and the media picked up the story. The truth, then as now, wasn't newsworthy, so a correction was never publicized. The people I meet, therefore, continue to tell me that science is a load of crock because it once proved that bumblebees cannot fly. And they will not hear otherwise, especially not from a scientist.
  • Poztate
    Poztate

Here is one story on the "flight of the bumblebee"

It is well out of date with what we know now but then the WT has always been at least 50 or so years behind the times.

Bumblebee flight explained

In 1934 the French entomologist August Magnan argued that, according to the known laws of physics, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly.

Virtually all insects flap their wings through a wide arc, about 165 degrees. Frequency generally varies with size: The larger the insect, the slower the wings beat. Mosquitoes, for example, beat their wings about 400 times per second, fruit flies about 200. Birds beat their wings much more slowly — about 50 times per second for hummingbirds.

But bees, which are 80 times as large as fruit flies, flap their wings 230 times per second through an arc of about 90 degrees. And although most insects produce the majority of lift about halfway through the stroke, when the wing is moving fastest, bees get an equally large contribution at the beginning and end of the stroke from the rotation of the wing.

Now, a research team at the California Institute of Technology has solved the beeflight puzzle by observing the insects in helium-enriched atmospheres:

The bees made up for the extra work by stretching out their wing stroke amplitude but did not adjust wingbeat frequency.

"They work like racing cars," Altshuler said. "Racing cars can reach higher revolutions per minute but enable the driver to go faster in higher gear. But like honeybees, they are inefficient." [LiveScience]
  • lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hold on..........I have to go get my shovel.

What stupidity. I cannot believe I was so gullable in the past to believe these people who have NO CLUE.

About Peter: It WAS an act of faith. This "brother" does not seem to know a simple biblical teaching. The only reason Peter could not do it, that is complete the walk on the water is because he looked down, instead of keeping his concentration on Jesus and faith in him, and therefore he failed in his task. That is the whole moral of this story. Don't loose faith in Jesus, keep your eyes fixed on him firmly and you can do anything. Peter by looking away - lost his faith and that is why Jesus said he had "little faith".

Matthew 14:

28 "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29 "Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt

• Undecided
    Undecided

Didn't people know how to swim back then?

"Lord, save me!"

I can't walk on water but I don't drown if I jump in the ocean.

Ken P.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, if any SHOULD be pioneering based on this analogy, it should be every one of the elders, ministerial servants, their wives and children...when that happens, the rank and file might consider it.

Blondie

(BTW did you know that COs and DOs no longer are held to fulfilling the hour requirements for pioneers? How many of their wives do you see putting in the kind of hours that allows them to report 70 hours a month.

• hippikon
    hippikon

LOL - My favorite is that people use less than 5% of your brain proving conclusively they man was designed to live forever. So according to that logic if you loose 95% of your brain you wouldn’t notice the difference and would get by just fine.

• Mary
    Mary
    Let's bash this up in two steps. 1) The dumb ass illustration used by the D.O. is a urban folklore 2) Talk about misapplication. The creator causes us to pioneer? What a load of crock! It's not even scriptural!

Sure He did......don't you know that the first commandment Jehovah gave to Adam and Eve was not to 'multiply and fill the earth', but they were to 'pioneer'. Just like the first of the Ten Commandments He gave to the Israelites was "YOU MUST PIONEER FOR SEVEN YEARS, LEST I PUT YOU TO DEATH..."

These guys are really getting desperate. Even with the cut in hours, fewer and fewer young ones are pioneering. They see their grandparents and their parents struggling financially because they never saved a dime, and they do not want to get caught in the same predicament so guess what----they're going to university. The generation of today is not the same as it was 50 years ago. Back then, people were trained to automatically believe anyone in authority and never question them. Today, you're taught to question EVERYTHING and not accept anything until you have proof. The WT doesn't seem to get it. They're still trying to rule like Charles Dickens without realizing that the world has moved on.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    BTW did you know that COs and DOs no longer are held to fulfilling the hour requirements for pioneers? How many of their wives do you see putting in the kind of hours that allows them to report 70 hours a month

Blondie this is news to me... as of when? So they can basically put as much as they want to put?

• blondie
    blondie

COs are not held to the 70 hour requirement for regular pioneers; wives are officially supposed to but many unofficially never make the quota.

They don't want them to get "discouraged" and quit, eh?

That is why many COs don't go out evenings, not even Wednesday, let alone Saturday afternoon, and hardly any Sunday afternoons.

Blondie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I guess the University of Awake! grads have to catch up with the real world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit