Anyone from Melbourne Australia?

by Alana 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

My husband's cousin just emailed us that her husband has been accepted to the University of Melbourne's business school. The MBA program begins in August and they will be moving then and they will be relocating either this coming August (or January if he opts to bebin the program later). They will be there about 20 months. They have a toddler and a dog.

I just wondered if there are any members here from Melbourne who may have suggestions as to things to see and do, recommendations regarding areas to live, or just about anything that might help them in their move down under.

(I've always wanted to visit Australia, so I'm thinking that they need an extra bedroom wherever they go, for visiting relatives! ha ha ha)

"Alana"

• Witchettygrub
    Witchettygrub

Alana,

A handy thing to have is the 'Melways' book of the map of Melbourne. This will get them around. As for where is a good area to live, well, I am assuming they will be renting? Good suburbs are Malvern, Caulfield, Camberwell, Glenhuntly, Glen Iris, with quick access to the city. Rent is high for a house in those areas.

For breathtaking scenery - the Dandenong Ranges and the Great Ocean Road, Lorne. All in the 'Melways' book/map.

Witchettygrub

• hippikon
    hippikon

Victoria - Big mistake Try Queensland instead

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi I'm in Melbourne. Melbourne was once voted the 'world's most livable city', whatever that means. Melbourne has the biggest Greek population in the world (outside of greece). On my side of town, the north (handy for UoM) it's a bit more turkish.

The Melways suggestion is a good one; tell them to get hold of one as soon as they land. If they like snow they'll enjoy Mt Hotham and Falls Creek for the next few months. Our beaches aren't much as it's pretty cold, but we're good at lattes and parks. PM if they need any other ideas.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Victoria - Big mistake Try Queensland instead

That's a long commute to the UoM...

You have this thing for hot, windswept plains, don't you!

• Alana
    Alana

Thank you all for the tips and information. They are busy, busy, busy getting things taken care of here.....at least I get a new car out of the deal, as they are selling their cars! I will be sure to pass on the information and appreciate any and all information you all have!

"Alana"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit