Strange paradox - the ' weakest' J Dubs were in a way the most hardcore.

by Gregor 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

I knew many of them. Some in my own family. They were the ones considered spiritually weak because they:

-struggled with putting in field service time. What time they did put in was usually by being the silent partner with someone who did the talking at the door.

-found it almost impossible to be in the TM school. A Bible reading at most and this took hours of preparation and needed assistance in developing an intro and conclusion. Then they were almost physically ill when the time came to get on the platform, many times calling in 'sick' at the last minute.

-never raised their hand to answer a question.

-never conducted a home Bible study.

-had been in the org. for decades but could no more explain a WT doctrine than they could fly, i.e. the Gentile times, any of the Revelation interpretations, etc. even if they had just sat through the WT or Book study in which it was laid out.

-were very uncomfortable with minor responsibilities like carrying the microphone or assisting behind the lit counter.

BUT - they were absolutely extreme when it came to-

-refusing blood transfusions for themselves or their children. Seeing it through to the point of death or 'kidnapping' their infants from the hospital. You would find many court orders that were imposed involved this type of JW.

-going to prison over the draft issue, doing their time and coming out and resuming their marginal status.

-shunning DF'd persons beyond even what the WTS required, especially if it was their own family members to whom they could be downright cruel.

Well, you get the picture. Ever observe this yourself? I have a theory on where these people are coming from. What's you're take?

• serendipity
    serendipity

They're overcompensating in the areas that are comfortable, doable or convenient for them to prove they're not so weak after all.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What's you're take?

They are too afraid to think for themselves.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I have been very forcefully by shunned two JWs in recent weeks, and both were among the "weakest" in my congregation. I stood right in the face of one and told him how pathetic I thought he was. He just looked away and pretended I wasn't there. Sooooo odd.

S4

• elliej
    elliej

I believe they act this way because it finally gives them an opportunity to feel self-righteous and spiritually superior to someone instead of their typical feelings of inferiority.

• luna2
    luna2

A friend of mine told me of an encounter she had with a couple of JWs in the grocery store. The wheelchair bound mom, who was a staunch, salwart JW, had no trouble greeting her and being friendly. Her daughter, on the other hand, the one who almost never went out in service, came to meetings sporadically, never participated in much of anything, the one you'd label as "weak", scowled at her and pointedly wouldn't speak to her.

As you say, they can't do much, at least not that requires consistancy and self-discipline (I should know as I struggle/struggled in these areas), but they prove to Jehoober that deep inside they're a really good dub because can shun.

• vitty
    vitty

Its because they cant rely on their own spituality ,or lack of it, to get them through armageddon. So they think by being extra strong with the WT "rules" they at least think they are gaining brownie points with him upstairs.

Ive just recently seen this in my daughter, I was sadened, ashamed and felt responsible (cos I brought her up in this crap ) by her unkind words about a DFed person.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think that those who are more likely to leave the WT are actually on both ends of the spectrum: either those who are not yet very committed (or, in JW speech, "haven't made the truth their own" or "developed a personal relationship with Jehovah" ) and can still realise this is not their cup of tea; or those who have taken it very seriously until they realised they have been fooled, and cannot bear it.

As to those who will remain JWs but take it with a pinch of salt (in matters like blood or shunning for instance), I feel they are more likely to be found among long-time (perhaps 2nd- or 3rd-generation) JWs who consider it "their religion" but have grown an ability to think for themselves within this general framework -- which is less likely of recent converts, whether "weak" or "strong".

Of course the Internet, which makes it much easier to get in touch with exJWs, changes those parameters.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I must say that is strange psychology and it beats me, one would normally expect the weaker JWs to be the less not the more fanatical.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The strongest Witnesses I have ever encountered are the inactive and the believing walkaways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit