A statement in the Watchtower that angered me...

by slimboyfat 19 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The study article on the "Patience of Jehovah" a few weeks back caused some discussion on the forum. But there was one particular turn of phrase that stuck out in my mind concerning Job:

"The outcome? Jehovah "blessed the end of Job afterward more than his beginning." (Job 42:12) Jehovah restored Job's health, doubled his wealth, and blessed him with a full, happy life with his loved ones. Job's faithful endurance also enabled him to understand Jehovah more fully."

The phrase "full, happy life with his loved ones" involves a sleight of hand at the very least. Don't forget that his "loved ones", i.e. all his children, were allowed to be destroyed by Satan. These ones were not brought back to life once the test was over; not everything was "put right" for Job after the test. Sure Job went on to have more children, but would any sensitive human being, any human being at all in fact, see the replacement of one's family, one's children, by another set of "loved ones" as an adequate equivalency, so that his "end" was more blessed than "his beginning"? Either the Watchtower writer is not really taking Job's story seriously, and he does not really believe in its historicity and is reducing the story to data from which to extract pure "principles", or he is displaying a shockingly callous attitude toward the nature of familial relationships. Personally, I don't blame the writer if deep down he doubts the historicity of Job, after all the Hebrew of the book begins "Once upon a time..." But the Watchtower writer claims to be interpreting the book as though it does refer to a real person who really lived, and had normal human feelings.

The book of Job is a work of literature rich in irony coated in beautiful language. It will not be reduced to the Watchtower's tired discourses about "vidication", "inherited human imperfection" and "universal sovreignty". The book is much richer than that, and defies any one simple interpretation. It was cleary compiled by a group of thoughtful people who had greater insight into the enigma of suffering and its human tragedy than Watchtower writers do. It is all the more powerful for the fact that it admits of no trite answers on the subject, but invites the reader to ponder the issues for himself.

• dvw
    dvw

BRAVO! wish i could have said it that well.

• greendawn
    greendawn

To me that book and its theme that man serves God out of selfishness are a myth, nobody will torture his loyal wife of many years to see if she is really faithful. That's diabolical.

But the point you made is good, how could Job be so happy after so many children of his, died?

• blondie
    blondie

I commented on that point in my WT Reviews quoting this comment from the When Someone You Love Dies brochure.

*** we p. 24 How Can Others Help? ***

Do not say, ‘You can have another baby’: "I resented people telling me I could have another child," recalls a mother who lost a child in death. They may mean well, but to the grieving parent, words to the effect that the lost child can be replaced can ‘stab like a sword.’ (Proverbs 12:18) One child can never replace another. Why? Because each is unique.

I guess the exception was Job and his wife...their children could be replaced.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Blondie....excellent observation...as always

As you say "I guess Job was different than the rest of mankind" is just another "special pleading" to cover for their strange ideas of gods way of doing things.

As for the reasoning on this from a biblical sense, think of the pain and the suffering physically over an extended period of time Job suffered, then the pain and suffering that followed in small doses with his possesions and family. Then to top it off, the reasoning is ....Job KNEW Jehovah better and LEARNED from this.

What do you suppose most sane persons would LEARN from this if ALL these things happened to them? Would you be happy you were blessed with being able to be the main actor in gods little play he had with the devil and you came out on gods side? Would this victory absolve all your losses and make all that pain and memory just go away?

Personally, I think it was a bad role model for Jehovah to play as to how fathers should teach their children to truimph and the rewards it brings. I would doubt this gods intelligence for not figuring out a little better plan as to how to vindicate myself without sacrificing lives and possesions.

What do you suppose was the "payoff" for Jobs integrity? If you had a resored 69' Chevy Malibu that had personal sentimental value, would you be more happy if you lost it but got a replica back with a better paint job?

Gumboils...who wouldn't shine a guys nutsack if it had big ol' ugly boils all over it! ewwwwww!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

slimboyfat is finally seeing the light.

• TMS
    TMS

A personal story written on this forum five years ago references Job's ten lost children in the second to the last paragraph. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/9890/1.ashx

As brainwashed JW's we were calloused to the loss of even ten children. After all Jehovah replaced them with ten more. Getting away from Watchtower spin gives us all a chance to re-examine all these Bible stories.

tms

• gumby
    gumby

TMS.......that was a good analogy. I too love my boxer who replaced out char-pei we had from birth that we had to put down, but I still miss and think about her. Btw.....your post 5 years ago went by fast...that means your 63 now.....ya old bastard!

Gumby

• Emma
    Emma

I always had trouble with this account. Maybe it's one of those subtle teachings that makes it so easy for witlesses to shun their own flesh and bloo. After all, jehovah will replace them with "brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers" in the borg. Twisted.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Well, I say Aesop's The Ant and The Lion is complete malarky. An Ant cannot pull a thorn from the paw of a Lion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit