Elder says no to congregation picnic: Brooklyn says no large gatherings

by truthseeker 36 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I GET SO FREAKIN SICK OF PEOPLE ASKING:

"If S.O. sneaks off at my BBQ with a married sister - Who is responsible?"

This immediately identifies this religion as a cult. The members have to be controlled by somebody.

If I have a party where there are children, I sure as hell make sure that one or both parents are there. I am not prepared to be responsible for the behavior of other peoples' children.

If I invite only adults, then I expect them to BE adults and take the fall for their own behavior.

HB

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

churches have gatherings all the time and nothing ever happens. As Midwitch says,

"BUT, a large gathering of dubs in a 'Wordly' environment would only (perhaps) take just that ONE Independent thinker/weak/questioning individual, and without any Organisation Control, the real TRUTH could spread like a virus through a large percentage of the Congregation."

That's it, all about CONTROL.

There should be a sign protest in front of Bethel that demands Jaracz' head on a platter (figuratively). Can you imagine how many secret loathers of Jaracz at Bethel would be empowered by this? Might even spark a big rebellion and fragment the whole Borg!!

DEPORT JARACZ!!

Mickey Mouse for President and head of Service Dept.

Randy

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

In my experience this is usually an over reaction by the local elders. Some are a whole lot more comfortable just saying no to almost anything. I know of many congregations that are considered spiritually strong with prominent elders that hold congregation gatherings and no one thinks anything about it. There has been some specific direction about multi-congregation gatherings or situations where people pay to get in but anything beyond that is local interpretation.

• blondie
    blondie

Is my memory working, but didn't the concern about "large gatherings" and people meeting informally in groups to pre-study their WT (or the Bible, etc) happen about the same time during the Great Apostasy in the 80's. The rank and file tried to get the WTS to commit to a number regarding what was "large" because some elders were being so restrictive that wedding receptions were being held to 100 people...that caused a lot of nasty feelings.

It depends on how secure the elders are in their decisions.

Blondie

• Mulan
    Mulan

In our area, the local congregation has a big picnic every year in the back yard of one of the families. (I know this because a friend tells me about it) They have it in the summertime, and everyone brings food. Some of them play instruments, and they get together, play their music, sing and lots of them dance. It sounds fun, and everyone looks forward to it all year. They've done it for years.

When we attended there, we would have them at a park nearby, and another family (now deceased) had a huge yard and lots of parking, and we would use that. There was even wedding receptions at their yard. The house was humble, but it was a great piece of land.

The younger pioneers would get together a softball game several times in the summers, when my kids were growing up. Everyone loved that and the kids saw the pioneers as humans.

• anewme
    anewme

I agree with Mulan, those happy get together memories are sweet!

If I was attending today and heard the crackdown on gatherings I think I would sound the alarm!

It really sounds like a business doesnt it? Yeek!

Whats next? Posting the policies and warnings at the back of the hall?

Having newly baptized ones sign responsiblity waivers?

Requiring Book Study Homes and Congregations to carry insurance for law suits?

Oh those poor poor dubs.

"The truth will set you free!"

• Forscher
    Forscher
    Is my memory working, but didn't the concern about "large gatherings" and people meeting informally in groups to pre-study their WT (or the Bible, etc) happen about the same time during the Great Apostasy in the 80's. The rank and file tried to get the WTS to commit to a number regarding what was "large" because some elders were being so restrictive that wedding receptions were being held to 100 people...that caused a lot of nasty feelings.

Your memory is just fine Blondie. They did their clamp-down during the "great Apostasy" to control the spread of ideas they didn't agree with. First, we were told at the time by our elders that we couldn't have folks from outside our own congregation at gatherings. Then any gathering not presided over by an elder became forbidden where I lived. Even wedding celebrations had to have an elder present who supervised who and what was allowed. Just like the new DFing policy for talking to DEF'd ones, that policy was pretty much kept because it was so useful for controlling what the rank-and-file does. As noted elswhere, it is all about control!
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit