No secular evidence for Jesus. What does this imply?

by Spectrum 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"Ah, now there is the real 'axe to grind'. You open with a 'teaser' then add a large lie to the thread. 'Followers of Jesus' actually obey the bulk of Jesus' commands, Jesus commanded no one to slay another, therefore no 'follower of Jesus' has slaughtered and murdered anyone! Look to your 'holy koran' for admonitions to slaughter the infedels. If you are whining about the Crusades, even the 'alleged followers of Jesus' who killed others were a response to Islamic aggression: self defense is not 'slaughter or murder'. Hundreds of millions have been killed by followers of Karl Marx in the last century alone. Why not whine about that? Sorry to burst your newly found replacement beliefs for JW cultism. Try getting your facts straight!"

>>> Sounds like diahrea coming out of someone's mouth or something....

Oh, and way more people have been killed in the name of Christ than by followers of Karl Marx. You are a complete fucking idiot if you think Karl Marx's followers killed hundreds of millions of people. Karl Marx was a commentator on the socioeconomic system, not a politician, as the Bolsheviks were. Get an education, assmunch.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'm with daniel... Shining one has shown himself to be far far to insane for me to worry about him just being eaten up with logic at any point!

Here's the rub Jebus was just this guy eh! I mean come on he's got a gazillion followers and yet the religious leaders don't know him on sight? Judas has to kiss this guy so they can tell which one he is!? Bull $hit! To expand on Matt's point the four "accepted" records weren't even written until much later! This 'religion' would have completely died if not for Paul showing up and changing it into an intolerance religion of hate! Once you can start hating people by god THEN you have a religion! Think of the JW's they were falling apart when da' judge seized control and turned them into a group of haters! Made them BETTER than anyone else! THEN they took off! Same thing here!

I wouldn't worship ANYONE who was such a pussy that HUMANS could nail his ass to a tree! Come on, try that crap on Zeus and see what you get! Now THERE's a god you could get behind!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    We have the NT and the apocrypha, ancient texts that tell a story of the early christians. Why is any of this less believable regarding the existence of the central character, Jesus, than the characters of Josephus? How many of Josephus's characters are corroberated in the secular way that is expected of Jesus?

I don't think any ancient religious writings can become proof of the people that appear in them. For example, you probably would not suggest that the Epic of Gilgamesh is proof that Gilgamesh existed.

I'm not a historian, but it seems to me that evidence of the personhood of ancient characters would have to be via separate dispassionate sources. For example, if official records from separate countries name a king, it's probably a safe bet that that king (or at least someone claiming to be him) was around.

I guess perhaps the easiest way to think about the problem is to imagine that a religious group appears today and starts publishing letters about a miracle worker that they claim lived and died several decades ago. The members of the group appear to believe strongly in what they say. They claim he could raise the dead, heal the sick, and turn water into wine, and that he died in 1974, but unfortunately he left no physical evidence. Would such accounts convince you?

SNG

• Caedes
    Caedes

I have just spat my morning tea on the moniter laughing at mkr32208, that really is laugh out loud funny.

Of course I was already laughing at sinning ones complete lack of understanding of the word crusade. It's interesting that Richard the lionhart didn't speak a word of english and supposedly only spent a matter of weeks in England. I wonder how he managed that whilst waiting around for all that Islamic aggression to reach english territories? Could it be that he spent all that time bringing christ's message of peace and love to those filthy heretics on foreign soil, just a thought! Anyway hail Zeus! a God with an agenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit