Other 'superstitions' of JWs (other than fortune cookies)

by Jim_TX 22 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

That's veeerrry interesting, blondie. Its the same as allowing certain wedding customs that also had pagan origins and then rationalizing why those things are okay. Certain things get cherry picked as especially evil or pagan...kind of like they needed a rallying point for the dubs. We don't do this, and this and this because we are special...but we allow this and this because we aren't unreasonable. Blah.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

As a kid, I was constantly hit on occassion with 'mixed-message' types of things...

I remember the 'Thanksgiving' - that we didn't celebrate... but turkeys are on sale this time of year, so it's a bargain... and we're going to have it on... well... we have to have it on Thanksgiving Day, as that's the day that your older sisters have off of work, and it's the only time that everyone will be home together.

Can we say... "HUH???" *head spinning*

(Like you can't wait for the day after T-Day, and get turkeys at a REAL bargain price, as the stores don't want any more of 'em in stock... and fix it on Saturday or Sunday... when everyone will also be home.)

TV shows... yeah... there were those that were 'banned'... Bewitched. (Although my ex-wife grew up watching it - and her mom was/is a JW.)

I also don't understand my mom 'allowing' The Wizard of Oz... since there were Wizards, and Witches in it... another mixed-message. (Heck, she'd make sure to be home to watch it when it came on.)

Also... that famous Christmas show? The one that gets shown once (or more) a year at Christmas... She liked it too...

There were a couple of other Christmas movies - from the 40's or early 50's... with Bing Crosby in them, that she liked, too - and we watched.

I think secretly, my mom longed for some of those old 'celebrations' that she had when growing up.

Regards,

Jim TX

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

My list is too big...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit