The Watchtower's Collection Plate Dilemma

by metatron 12 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I was eating with a Catholic friend who made a little joke about how "your church doesn't pass the plate".

Well, not yet, anyway. I'm sure that fact is a real dilemma for the Society, given their seemingly endless spiral of cutbacks in recent

years. They may send letters to congregations hyping their achievements in the Katrina area to help improve their image of caring

for the friends, to encourage more wallet loosening.

I think changing their "reminders" for contributions into outright begging would go along way to exposing them as "just another

religion" in the eyes of the friends - and they fear this, accordingly.

Nevertheless, one thing should be clear: if you object to the cruelty and indifference of the Watchtower Society and

it's deliberate efforts to break up families to preserve its control over individuals, then keep posting and exposing them!

While the average "Joe Witness" may not believe stories of child molestation and betrayal in supporting the UN, it still raises

doubts about "what the heck are those guys doing with our contributions?" The recent layoffs of Bethelites, however nicely

it gets 'spun' by Watchtower defenders, as well as obvious losses like Awake issues, probably accomplishes even more

discouragement as to contributing.

It's sad that this matter can't be solved by reason - and sadder still that it can't be solved by any sense of love or

conscience within the Watchtower leadership. Given all that, no alternative remains except to drain them of money and spirit

day after day and year after year, until they can't perpetuate their intolerance anymore - and in that fight, I can assure you,

we are winning!

metatron

• blondie
    blondie

Vote through your pocketbook.

• sir82
    sir82

I fully expect, if the contributions continue to dwindle, a District Convention talk, and a series of WT articles, on how the Israelites tithed, and how it resulted in great blessings from Jehovah, and how when they neglected the tithe, things went bad.

And the big application point will be something like this: "Of course, we are not under the Mosaic Law. However, since 'all things are written for our instuction', why would Jehovah see to it that this part of the Law was preserved in our Bibles? So we could see the value of 'honoring Jehovah with our valuable things'. Certainly, we could expect rich spiritual blessings if we followed the ancient pattern." Etc. etc. etc.

Blah, I could get a job on the writing committee, if I could just keep the nausea down...

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Metatron,

Your post may be what Watchtower was saying in yesterdays WT study about the "bringing of little in" - If JW's are living in panelled houses, then they must be neglecting the WT Temple building work.

• metatron
    metatron

Exactly!

The rumors about them being "bled white" must be true. I can recall a newsarticle about the United Church of Christ having trouble

supporting one small magazine - far less than what the Watchtower is presently responsible for.

As for the rest, I can tell you first hand, from trying to carefully "enlighten" some Witnesses in authority, that they really don't 'get it'.

Their thinking is so warped by anecdotal cheerleading ( "why, things are wonderful, everyone I know says so") and labeling their

opposition ( "apostate") , that their simple minded view of Satan vs. us is all they can think about.

metatron

• lawrence
    lawrence

No coins for Watchtower coffers! No different than Luther vs. The Catholic Church. Maybe they'll resurrect the Haggai and Zechariah book so they can focus on Witnesses building up their houses while "God's House" is in shambles. Who made it that way? The G.B. will bleed the flock until they all scatter on many hills. That will be a good day!

• serendipity
    serendipity

So, where is the money going?

• metatron
    metatron

I think the answers about expenses are pretty obvious. As soon as the voluntary donation arrangement started some years ago,

contributions plunged and it really frightened them. They must spend tens of millions on paper, Bethelites support, upkeep,

energy and every other aspect of running a large, far flung corporation.

When you think about it, they are spread very thin across the world's surface and are very vunerable to disruption. Like Hitler

and Napolean, being overextended will be their downfall.

metatron

• blondie
    blondie

serendipity, you asked where the money is going.......the money the WTS used to get?

People are spending it on

homes/new and remodels

vacations

education

other forms of recreation

home decoration

fancy clothes

cars/vans/motorhomes

That's why the WTS is so upset about the "materialism" and today's rank and file...they have they money but aren't giving it to them.

Blondie

• Severus
    Severus

Don't forget about this "pledge drive" ploy, copied from: Circuit Overseers Are On a Pledge Drive

(This video program is still a current part of the CO visit this season.)

Jehovah's Witnesses will be experiencing a special treat during their CO (Circuit Overseer) visit this season: a bona-fide pledge drive.

During the Thursday night meeting the normal CO talk will instead be a video entitled:

Building Kingdom Halls Advances True Worship

This 30-minute Advances video is well produced and explains the Watchtower Society's program to build simplified Kingdom Halls in third-world and poor countries were materials and funds are scarce.

Interviews and footage focus on South America, Africa and Eastern Europe. Interesting tidbits include:

• African JW's singing Kingdom Melodies while they work
    • Time-lapse video of construction
    • Visiting Society building coordinators sharing time in the ministry as well
    • African JW's breaking rocks to make brick mortar
    • Before and after pictures
    • Interviews with local government officials
    • East European interview describing freezing conditions in their old hall
    • A classic scene where chickens come running out of an old open-air hall

Interspersed through the video is references to financial contributions. A scene is dedicated to the process of Society approval, showing how the congregation must pass a resolution to contribute a fixed sum to the project every month. While Advances viewers shrink in shame, the camera focuses on black hands stuffing a rustic contribution box.

Advances continues to tout the incredible progress the Society program has made. A computer graphic of the rotating planet highlights the countries involved with thousands of points indicating completed kingdom halls. Of course this was made possible only by the donations from wealthier JWs, as Advances continually reminds the viewer.

All pretense is lost when the video stops to display 2 Corinthians 8:14:

But that by means of an equalizing YOUR surplus just now might offset their deficiency, in order that their surplus might also come to offset YOUR deficiency, that an equalizing might take place.

The rest of Advances is a montage of thank-yous from around the world. While educational and moving at times, Advances is a transparent wallet-miner that will undoubtebly send millions of dollars into Societies coffers. UNICEF and Sally Struthers take notice: there's a new begging bowl on the block.

No word yet on a general release of this video.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit