HAW...KEE...HAW....KEE Anyone else here a hockey fan?

by jgnat 33 Replies latest social physical

• jgnat
    jgnat

I live in a sports city where hockey is the national sport. Being an oil town, we've experienced the flush of success and the misery of defeat. We haven't seen the Stanley Cup since our heyday in 1990. We're so game-crazy, the city's motto is, "City of Champions."

http://www.oilersheritage.com/

Now the Oilers are in the playoffs, and our city is wild with celebration. Every day of the week cars whiz by with one or more oiler's flags hanging from their windows. On game night, the city sounds like a thousand wedding procession.

My hubby is miserable. He's rooting for the eastern teams. Any hockey fans lurking about?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I live in the Northwest and around here, they only show Hockey on things like ESPN and none of the national networks broadcast nothing with Hockey. If you went up to anyone around here and asked them to name ONE team, about 1 in a 100 would know one and it would only be the team name and no knowledge of what city they play in. So basically, around here Hockey is a dead and unknown sport and know one seems to care.

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about Wayne Gretzky? Have you heard of him?

We had a funny incident a few years back, a quartet deep from the American South came and sang at our church. I think they composed, "I heard it through the grapevine". Attempting to engage the audience, they asked us who our top sports hero was. With one breath the crowd shouted, "WAYNE GRETZKY"

They: "Who?"

Crowd: "you know, the hockey star..."

They: "What about Michael Jordan?"

Crowd: "Sure, yeah, we know him."

• jgnat
    jgnat

A bit of history on Hockey Night In Canada. This is what our generation watched every Saturday night.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/H/htmlH/hockeynight/hockeynight.htm

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

We got an NHL franchise here a few years back (Blue Jackets). They have yet to make the playoffs, maybe when they do I'll start getting excited about hockey. :)

My work has me in frequent contact with our division in Whitby Ontario. I have a bet going with a guy there - if an American team wins the Stanley Cup, he has to send me something uniquely Canadian (he hasn't decided what yet), and vice-versa if I win. If the Oilers win it, I'll be sending him a George W. Bush bobblehead doll.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'll watch the final series for sure whoever the teams are, but I'm presently urked by the Sabres fans around here.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd hate to think what that bobblehead doll would look like after a Canadian gets creative with it....

• observer
    observer

Yes, I am a hockey fan.

And for your information,

Finland - Canada 5 - 0

bronze medal game yesterday in IIHF World Championships at Riga, Latvia.

http://www.ihwc.net/english/article/recaps/index.ihwc?&artId=2455

;)

• jgnat
    jgnat

OUCH!

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I go to University of Wisconsin -- Madison, home of the US College National Champions!

unfortunately, I think hockey is like soccer on ice. And soccer is the most boring thing ever invented. :-)

-silent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit