Did the Witnesses you know, see "Fortune Cookies" as evil?

by free2beme 28 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

I wonder why they even bother supporting the restaurants financially by eating there if they have such a problem with the "demonic" fortunes in the cookies...

• nikan8ter
    nikan8ter

This is just an example of the backward reasoning that goes on. I especially enjoyed the comment about how you would read the fortune if no other jw's were around. I remember when I would go out with my family and we would all read the fortunes and laugh, but it was sort of scretive, like we were doing something wrong, but getting away with it!

Here's an urban myth for you Eagle-1:

After service with the CO a group of witnesses decides to out for Chinese in a suburban neighborhood. The brothers were excited about their day and were discussing some of the great scriptural counsel the CO had provided. One brother even pulled his bible out of his book bag to make notes in his scripture chain. Throughout the meal the bible stayed on the table open to his notes on divination. At the end of the meal the waiter brought the check along with 6 fortune cookies. Immediately, upon the waiter placing the fortune cookies on the table the bible closed itself and flew off the table. Obviously they never went back. Brothers are you blinded by Satens influence? Remember who the ruler of this world is, the next time you get a craving for fried rice. :)

OMG - just writing that made me a little sick - sorry if this hits people a little to close to home :)

• M.J.
    M.J.

That's nuts. I never heard of that. My JW wife doesn't have a problem there. We even read the Chinese horoscope descriptions and figure out what animal we "are".

• anewme
    anewme

I think there might be something to the fortune cookie scare. I mean I always snuck a peek at my fortune cookie message......and look at me now.....out of the org! There might be a connection!

• M.J.
    M.J.

**MJ makes mental note to by 5 cases of fortune cookies tonight***

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

This is really cracking me up. Some JW's are not wrapped too tight.

• free2beme
    free2beme

When ever I send my son to a Witness relatives house for babysitting and we provide food for dinner, we always put a fortune cookie in the bag for him to snack on. He knows it is there and if they tried to not give it to, he would protest to the extreme.

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

Wow i was thinking about this 5 years ago. AN Elder ate the fortune cookie, and read it, and I was shocked, because of how i thought it would be spiritism. It said something like Do your own thing, and he just read it and disagreed with it, and that was the end of it. Then we joked about another fortune cookie that said "You are smart and do things smartly"

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Evil..heck yeah. I think Southern California beach cities may have had some of the most paranoid unstable JWs in the world in the 60ies and 70ies, .....My aunt sent my mother dolls from Korea and my sister was told by elders she had demon problems because of those dolls so she DESTROYED them while my mom was away. We had elders still coming down from bad acid trips. You know, reformed hippies and all.

Fortune cookies were dangerous, anything from a thrift store was dangerous. Apparently demons can hide inside stuff. Maybe even fortune cookies.....I moved by the 80ies inland SoCal and they were not quite as paranoid.

I used to buy fortune cookies with scriptures inside them for my Sunday School kids to memorize for prizes. That was fun! Mainstream churches are so different. We have fun, joy, peace and lots of love for children. No fear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit