When you pray to God, who answers your prayers, Jesus or Jehovah?

by JH 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

13 Also, whatever it is that YOU ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son. 14 If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it.

So is it correct to say that if we ask Jehovah something in prayer, it's Jesus that will grant the prayer, since he said "if you ask in my name, I will do it"?

I always thought that it was Jehovah whom we pray to, and he was the one who would answer our prayer, not Jesus.

• carla
    carla

I forsee a Trinity discussion coming.

• JH
    JH

I can just imagine telling the JW's that "Jesus" granted me this or that in prayer.

Carla, I don't believe in the trinity, I just believe in Jesus's words, and he did say what I posted above. If the context is wrong, let me know.

• JH
    JH

I just copied this from A Paduan's thread, and now I'm confused.

so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you

and Jesus also said, like I wrote above

Also, whatever it is that YOU ask in my name, I will do this

• carla
    carla

Wouldn't a jw just say Jesus works for God (the Father) and it is through God that Jesus can do anything? Kind of like an expiditor on a construction job, he's not the big boss, but has power and authority to make certain decisions for the big boss/owner.

Not to change the subject but along those lines, who raised Jesus? Who created the world? You will find the same problem you posed originally, God the Father or Jesus? (and in a few cases throw the Holy Spirit in there!)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Father, Son and Holy Spirit are often mentioned almost interchangably regarding creatorship and the answering of prayers.

Without (God forbid) turning this into a Trinity debate, it's easy to see why the concept arose

It seems there's scriptural warrant for praying to any of them, should you so desire and should you care a whit about any kind of bible-based belief system.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have never heard anyone praying to the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is the immediate head of the Church something that the Judaic influenced JWs do not like, so they did away with the idea of the church and instead talk about the organisation of jehovah (instead of the church of Jesus) something that no Christian religion has ever done, not even the apostlic church.

There is nothing wrong with directing prayers to the head of the Church who also sits on the throne of God.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Greendawn:

I have never heard anyone praying to the Holy Spirit.

You need to get out more On a side note, what do you make of Heb.3:7?

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I must confess, I never thought of praying to the Holy Spirit...until She told me I could

~Merry

• nsrn
    nsrn

http://www.pcentral-online.net/pray.html

Here is a link to a Catholic site of prayers to the Holy Spirit. The one that starts "Come, Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of your faithful...." is also used in our Methodist Church some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit