Construction photos you're glad you don't have to see anymore!

by TresHappy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
  • TresHappy
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan

For centuries men have wanted to build themselves buildings for worship, but have failed. Then the Jehovah's Witnesses came, and everything changed. Isn't it proof of Gods spirit that we are able to build our own houses of worship!

• mouthy
    mouthy

build our own houses of worship! TO THE WATCHTOWER!!WORSHIP!!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I was so appauled at one quick build hall in 1986, one of the presideing overseers was screaming at a young male witness in his teens that why wasn't the stone and gravel all flattened so that the asphalt company could pave the parking lot. And a the day before the build this same brother was in an arguement with several brothers regarding the new brace door handle and lock. Apparently the person responsible to do this didn't and this elder was balistic, Like I couldn't believe my hears what kind of hostility this brother displayed to a few good brothers who by the way gave up work at their businesses to help out and for what to be screamed and yelled at.

I looked at him with mush distain. I wanted to tell him off big time, but I knew he would get even with me buy telling my elder father and he'd kill me for questioning an elder.

Anyway this brother said I need it now, and no one is available to go down town Toronto to pick it up. For one brief moment of insanity I ended up telling the elder that I would got to get the lock in Toronto, but I told him that I had an empty gas tank. He said oh well here is 10.00 dollars for gas (now let me tell you this elder is a multi millionaire) and the cheapskate only give me a 10. I couldn't believe how stupid I was at that moment . It is about 45 miles to Toronto and it was rush hour and I figure okay I am doing a good thing, doing a deed as if it were for Jesus Christ. I got to Toronto picked it up and headed home immediatley. Arrived at the building site, and gave the lock to the elder. All he could say was oh , thanks. Fuck I was mad as hell.

I wanted to tell someone about this behaviour but I was to afraid to. I did however speak with the teen about the gravel and he told me Terry he is always like this, since we have been setting up for this build he yells and screams and swears at all the brothers. No wonder I was developing a hatred for the Orangization.

Pardon me while I go and be sick.

orangefatcat

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Sorry to bring back such memories orange. I remember the only Two Day Blunder I attended was in the late 80's - they were building a double KH in OK and I went with a friend. She told me that we could meet husbands at the quick builds and it was a good place to meet men. I rolled my eyes at the thought of that but I actually did meet a really nice JW guy there. We dated several times before I realized he and I didn't click. She wanted to stay out there at the site and I refused; telling her I didn't camp unless it said Vacancy out the outside. So what I did was go into the nearby town with and stayed at a hotel. She showed up at my room in the middle of the night crying saying some elder told her off for staying out too late, etc. We got up the next morning and went back home. She cried the entire way because of what this elder had said to her...I told her to tell him how hurt she was - she didn't but she left the JW's over it. See if more crabby elders did that there wouldn't be any left and they would be all on this board!

• free2beme
    free2beme

Worked on a few quick builds in my time as a Witness, not the organized masterpeice they wanted you to believe.

• franklin J
    franklin J

anyone ever see the movie "WITNESS" with Harrison Ford and Kelly Mcgillis ( circa 1985); Good flick

...its seems those Amish have a head start on quick builds with their community Barn raisings....

..and what is the difference between the two faiths? Not much really, except that the Amish do not use cars or try to convert others.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Only in Jehovah's organization can you see a sister wearing welders gloves to hold a piece of wood! Resplendent!

W

• Jourles
    Jourles

I've got a good story about a "brother" that helped out on quickbuilds.

Back in the early 90's, I worked for this brother out of Spring Valley, CA. He owned a drywall/acoustical/painting company(A1 Acoustical or something or other). But our primary job function was an acoustical spraying outfit - that cottage cheese look on ceilings. My coworker(there was only two of us that did all the jobs) was a "worldly" guy. One day, the owner informed us that we would be working on a Saturday, normally our day off. He told me that we were going to be spraying a quickbuild and that since the quickbuilds were voluntary labor, we wouldn't get paid. Mind you, he neglected to tell my coworker this little bit of info.

After we were on-site and halfway into the job, I asked my coworker why he came to help out. He said, "What do you mean?" I told him about how the quickbuilds work and that as JW's we volunteer our labor for free. He left right away and found our boss and asked him if he was getting paid for the day. Our boss told him no, he was volunteering his time for the quickbuild. Rick(my coworker), went off. And this guy had a mouth. F this and F that right in the middle of the new KH. I just stared with my eyes wide open - along with just about everyone else. Our boss then told him he would go ahead and pay him for the day. Duh! He is a worldly guy, not a JW!

The owner wasn't a very good JW. He would often have us do illegal work that typically required hazmat workers. For instance, older ceilings used to have asbestos in the acoustical mix. Removing that type of acoustical was illegal. You have to wear special suits, the entire home has to be sealed off, etc. etc. We would go right in and scrape it down. Dust everywhere. I can guarantee if I ever die from lung cancer, it probably will be from asbestos. I did get him busted once though. I told one of my elders in my hall about this type of work and he contacted one of his elders. The owner came back to me furious as hell. Oh well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit