Why can't JWs STOP PREDICTING THINGS!

by plmkrzy 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

just ranting I am trying to think of another religion that spends SOOO much time obsessing over the last days. I can't think of one. There are many religions that preach about it but how many go as far out on a limb as JWs do like trying to calculate! the last days. 6 million people trying to estimate an actual date while at the same time telling themselves and others "we shouldn't do that" But keep doing it!

I do not understand why the society and jws continue to play with dates and argue over them as if they actually knew something or are even supposed to know. If the GB really follow the teachings in the Bible then why can't they simply accept that it IS NOT POSSIBLE TO KNOW WHAT GOD DOESN'T EVEN WANT THEM TO KNOW!

It is SOOOOOOOOO simple. But noooooooo, they just keep going on and on and on and on and on.

What is the difference from anyone pretending to be Jesus, and the GB pretending to be prophets?

They MUST be pretending, unless one chooses to believe God is just having a good time jerking them around.

Matthew 24:35-37 (New International Version)

35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

36 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Not

"Only the Father and the governing body of Jehovah’s witness's”

37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:35-37 (King James Version)

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Mark 13:32

Revelation 9:15 And the four angels who had been kept ready for this very hour and day and month and year were released to kill a third of mankind. Revelation 9:14-16 (in Context) Revelation 9 (Whole Chapter)

Revelation 9:15 (King James Version) 15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year , for to slay the third part of men.

A day and A month and A year. NOT LISTED!

Deuteronomy 18:20 (New International Version)

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him. CAUSE HE IS AN IDIOT!

Deuteronomy 18:20 (King James Version)

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

plm

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

double partial posting booboo

• parakeet
    parakeet

They can't stop predicting the "end," because that's the lure that brings people into the fold -- living forever in an earthly paradise that will come about their own lifetime. Heady stuff, if you fall for it. Once they've got you hooked, then they have to play a delicate game juggling with scriptures and dates to keep hope alive for believers, yet without committing to a particular date. That the WTS has survived how many failed predictions (5? 7?) is a testament to how good they are at playing this game. That it's psychologically devastating to their followers apparently doesn't matter to the org. Bless their shriveled little hearts.

• seawolf
    seawolf

I was just thinking this now and bam here is your thread! Surely this is the 'food at the proper time' that the JWs talk so much about!?!? In response to your question, if the talking heads in Brooklyn weren't proving themselves false prophets *COUGH* I mean coming up with these dates then they might actually have to figure out something worthwhile to do with their time.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Once they've got you hooked, then they have to play a delicate game juggling with scriptures and dates to keep hope alive for believers,

I first became angry with them when I was in school back in 1975 and we didn't die. I didn't stop believing then, but I stopped believing anything the gb had to say. My beef is with adults they still keep NOT paying attention to these things. I was a KID! and got it.

plm

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    figure out something worthwhile to do with their time

or just figure out something...anything at all would do.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

The JWs are a spin-off of a group initiated by a man who was convinced he'd been introduced to "God's dates". Russell believed the Great Pyramid "outlined the plan of redemption" and confirmed the dating system he'd adopted. More than half of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures is taken up by his explanation of his calculations. The need to tell others of these dates and their "meaning" fueled his ministry.

JW's wouldn't exist if it weren't for the passionate pursuit of prophetic fortune-telling. It's part of their basic structure and paradigm. They may never learn better.

Zion's Watch Tower, July 1, 1879:

...The Lord gave us many helps in the study of His word, among whom stood prominently, our dearly beloved and aged brother, George Storrs, who, both by word and pen, gave us much assistance; but we ever sought not to be followers of men, however good or wise, but "Followers of God, as dear children." Thus growing in grace and knowledge for seven years, the year 1876 found us.

Up to this time we persistently ignored time and looked with pity upon Mr. Thurman's and Mr. Wendel's ideas. (The latter was preaching the same time as Bro. Barbour; viz: The burning of the world in 1873.) We regarded those ideas as unworthy of consideration, for though we believed the event "nigh even at the doors," yet we recognized the fact that the church will be withdrawn--translated--before there would be any open manifestation to the world, or, in other words, the two stages of Christ's second advent, viz: coming for his saints, and coming with all his saints.

About this time I received a copy of the "Herald of the Morning," Bro. B. was its publisher; I read with interest how he and others had been looking for (to use his own expression) "a bonfire"; how scriptural arguments pointed to the autumn of 1874 as the time it was due; how that as the disappointment connected therewith began to abate, he and others had re-examined the scriptural proofs that appeared to teach that the end of the world was due at the time supposed; how clear and firm all those proofs still seemed; etc.; how that then, they began to examine what was due to take place at the end, and found that instead of a bonfire, scripture taught that "The harvest is the end of the world" (or age), and that though the age ended, the earth remained and a new age unfolded in which "All the families of the earth shall be blest."

When I read the account I was deeply interested, and as I read on I saw that, if the arguments were true they proved that we had entered and were then in the harvest or end; and if in the harvest, Jesus was due to be here present. This was all reasonable enough for it was much what we had been expecting, and it linked time to our expectation in a harmonious and beautiful manner. My thought now was: Are there sufficient proofs of our being in the time of harvest? If so, this brother and I were in perfect harmony. The paper came in the morning, and I had read it and written to brother B. before noon. I examined more of the time proofs, and though not yet settled with reference to them, made arrangements with brothers B. and Paton to come to Philadelphia, where I was engaged at the time (1876), and hold some meetings, giving evidences, etc., of time, to which I listened with interest, and of the truth of which I felt convinced.

Br. B. and I talked over various methods of promulgating these truths and finally decided to travel and preach them wherever men and women would hear, and to thus spend (D.V.) the remainder of the harvest, which we then supposed was three and a half years, and would close in 1878....
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

You answered your own question because they're idiots.

They need to be different, they hold out a carrot in front of followers and prospective followers,

to retain and attain people. They are just a little better than everyone else they know special truths

that no one else knows. They're Gods special people!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    JW's wouldn't exist if it weren't for the passionate pursuit of prophetic fortune-telling.

It's kinds ironic they have yet to witness anything.

Thanks for the comments

plm

• luna2
    luna2

If they keep it up with the predictions maybe, someday, they'll actually get something slighty, partially right...at least enough to keep them going for another 120 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit