Elder Qualifications

by atypical 8 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

I was talking with my wife last night about the structure of the organization, and had a random thought. I'm not picking on elders, because I know some elders I really like. This is aimed at the hypocrisy of the performance-based atmosphere at the kingdom hall.

Here are some things you do not have to really possess to become an elder:

Love, loyalty, honesty, modesty, integrity.....

Here are some things you could be and still become an elder:

Greedy, covetous, dishonest, a smiter/slanderere/reviler, animalistic, power hungry, a drunk, a pedophile.....

Here are two things without which you could never, ever, under any circumstances become an elder:

Monthly field service reports, and meeting attendance

hmmmmm

• under_believer
    under_believer

No kidding. Have you ever been appointed? You know what they do? They call you in THE DAY OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT. They ask you if there's any reason you're aware of that you shouldn't be appointed. You say "no," they say "ok you're an MS/elder, don't talk to anybody about it until after the announcement tonight."
    It's all based on external observation of someone. What they appear to be doing, and what their reputation is. It's all about appearances.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    It's all based on external observation of someone. What they appear to be doing, and what their reputation is. It's all about appearances.

Not always. My father was simply a member of the rat pack. Most of them drank together in our garage.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

I think it's a prerequisite that they have to be able to gossip like an old bitty.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You forgot the most important qualification. There must be a penis attached.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    You forgot the most important qualification. There must be a penis attached.

But they don't always have to have balls

• beavis
    beavis

Now folks, remember that in one of the recent Watchtower study articles, these fine strapping older men are being trained not only now but for future positions in the paradise..."Elders now taking the lead in the congregation are being trained for present and post-Armageddon theocratic duties." (WT, May 15, 2006 pg. 24) and then applying Rev. 16:14, 16.

Anyone care to comment on that ray of light/truth?

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    "Elders now taking the lead in the congregation are being trained for present and post-Armageddon theocratic duties."

Ahhhhhhh, that explains the "Looking Out For Numero Uno 101" training so many of them have excelled in.

• sir82
    sir82
    Here are two things without which you could never, ever, under any circumstances become an elder:

Monthly field service reports, and meeting attendance

And, if your baptized wife and/or children are slacking off in those areas, you will not be appointed.

Not "presiding over your household in a fine manner" and all that.

Of course, if your wife/children happen to be materialistic, unkind, greedy, alcoholics, etc., then there is no problem. Your household "presiding" is measured exclusively on the number of hours on your family's time cards and their presence at meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit