It's not upbuilding! It only tears down!

by under_believer 13 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

I'm sure many will recognize the subject as a criticism frequently levelled against critical or "apostate" statements: It doesn't build up, it's not encouraging, it only tears down, it's negative. In other words, don't listen to it, or it will harsh your mellow.
    Has anybody come up with a reasonably acceptable response to this criticism? I have already heard it a couple of times in talking to various friends of mine.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

How many "upbuilding" things did Jesus say about the Pharisees in the gospels?

• under_believer
    under_believer

Well obviously that is a good point for you and I, but it doesn't really work as a response to someone "in the truth" who raises that issue.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Try Ecclesiastes 3:1-3:

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build.

GentlyFeral

• Swan
    Swan

Yeah. I agree. I wish they would stop tearing down the Catholic Church. And the Baptists. And the Adventists. And all of the other religions. Oh, and I think they should stop tearing down gays too. It's not upbuilding.

Tammy

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    It doesn't build up, it's not encouraging, it only tears down, it's negative. In other words, don't listen to it, or it will harsh your mellow.

And spending their lives advertising the global butchering of 6 billion men, women, and children is upbuilding???

Seriously, life is not always rosy, and to refuse to discuss things that are not "upbuilding" is the same as refusing to face reality.

W

• serendipity
    serendipity

The comments and much 'spiritual' food tear down as well, and are not upbuilding to me. What about that?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

"So if someone disagrees with you and tries to point out your error, that is tearing down? Why would someone want to build up something they don't agree with?"

and then go on to say...

"The JW disagree with orthodox Christianity. They do so not by building them up. They accuse them of being the Babylon the Great! Satan's organization! They ONLY tear down orthodox Christianity"

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

"So if someone disagrees with you and tries to point out your error, that is tearing down? Why would someone want to build up something they don't agree with?"

and then go on to say...

"The JW disagree with orthodox Christianity. They do so not by building them up. They accuse them of being the Babylon the Great! Satan's organization! They ONLY tear down orthodox Christianity"

Keep in mind, the above is perfectly logical, but it won't matter because you are talking to a brain-dead drone.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well you can let them know that it only tears me down when I hear about men who have positions in the congregation are repeatedly busted for child molesting or other grave sins and it's not reported to the police.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit