Learning about the Amish (of all things) gave me hope for the JWs...

by Jamelle 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

As part of an education program held at the hospital for which I work, I learned some things last week about the Amish communities.

I had always known that they practiced shunning, and that sounded so much like the JWs, that I'd always lumped both groups into the same "general" category and thought no more of it.

Ironically enough, there is a quote on one of the Amish church books that really caught my attention. I immediately applied it to my knowledge of the JWs. Let's see what you guys think:

"The church that remembers it's past, has a future."

Very simple, very concise. Now, I'm not endorsing the Amish religion, but that one statement does ring of truth to me. (Although I think the Amish take things a little too far...)

The Witnesses do not remember their past, they ignore it. What they do know of their history is re-written, censored, sanitized drivel. Before I left the dubs I could have told you next to nothing about the history of my faith. Other than some vague impressions of sepia colored photographs in the random Awake article and the term "Bible Students" I was clueless.

The focus for Witnesses is on the future, on the next assembly, the next special talk, on the fulfillment of prophecy and of the things "hoped for" - their songs speak words like "Forward you witnesses..." etc, etc.

I am one of those people that believes strongly in learning from the past, personally and as a species.

It's comforting for me to think of the above quote. I do believe that someday the JW religion will no longer perpetuate itself. It will fail. Eventually.

We all know the problems and the reasons that will help lead to that ultimate failure. But this shakey foundation that the WTBTS is balanced on will surely contribute to their collapse.

What will be the figurative "earthquake" that topples the tower? Who knows? But I for one, hope it comes sooner, rather than later.

Kudos to everyone that works in their own ways, large and small, to educate others about the Witnesses, the truth of their past and their present!!!

• daystar
    daystar

Unfortunately, that is an Amish quote and not a WBTS quote. Doesn't give me much hope for the JWs unless they've suddenly picked up reading Amish holy texts.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is off topic, but here is something interesting about the Amish shunning practice that could have a positive impact upon the JW shunning practice if done in public places such as businesses:

shunning & human rights violations

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi Jamelle. The history of the organisation is amazing. I would have never believed all that has gone on in the name of progress and enlightenment as it pertains to " The Truth " as they so quizzically refer to it.

We are strongly encouraged to research any beliefs we have before we come in as Jehovah's Witnesses, be you Catholic, Baptist, or whatever denomination you may be. I never even gave a second thought as to what might be behind the Jehovah's Witnesses organisation, there history and the skeletons that live in those closets.

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

The Amish are basically a christian group. They are a closed society and they choose...not an org... to live their way simple.

"Idle hands are the devil's playground.." they believe the modern society makes it easy to ponder other things, then scripture. I agree....

I have a relitive, Ann is her name...is amish....I spent the summer with her family.......If you aren't afraid of hard work, you'll servive....lol.

Yes...they shunn the outside world. Look at it..it's a mess. As for shunning itself..it's scriptural....

They shun for many a reasons.....mostly it's disipline. If I was shunned...I'd have a choice to either stay and show remorse..or leave. Depending on what I did that caused it.

I defend them....Why? They are a part of the bride of Christ.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit