Visited by Two Mormon Elders

by truth.ceeker 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker

Hello,

Sunday I had a visit by two young men who introduced themselves as Elder so-and-so and Elder so-and-so from a nearby Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have not done much reading on their beliefs and doctrines. So I was wondering if anyone else had some information and what advice you can give. I don't want to be rude or anything like that, but polite and maybe leaving some seeds for them to think about.

thanks,
    truth.ceeker

• undercover
    undercover

For the official spin on the religion: www.lds.org

For what ex-mormons have to say about the religion: www.exmormon.org

You'll probably get better answers on how to debate the Mormon faith from the exmormon site which has a discussion board that is very active.

We're too busy figuring out the wacky world of JWs to worry too much about Mormons.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I've talked with the mormons before. It was an eye opening expierance. During the course of the conversation they eventually had to admit that they where wrong on a number of differant issues. Of course, that didn't stop them from holding fast to their beliefs. Just like JW's they have such a deep attachment to their version of the truth, they fail to see anything outside of it.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Best way to find out about mormon beliefs it south park...

• Highlander
    Highlander

Right on! The Southpark episode of the mormons is perfect, they found a way to completely poke fun at them yet were accurate in their beliefs.

I visited southeast asia last year and on board with me were at least a dozen or more mormons. They were on their way to the philippines. Yes, the guys all refer to

eachother as elder(so and so) and the women are refered to as sisters. They were quite pleasant, though I felt sorry for them cuz they had to be dressed up suits and ties

or dresses for the entire duration of the flight which was about 12 hours or so. They must have been getting quite hot and sticky!

To be honest, when I was among those mormons I felt like I was among the Jdubs,, not much of a difference. All the guys(elders) had the society look that witnesses have.

All the sisters were dressed extremely conservative. It was quite an experience though, it really opened my eyes to the fact that the jdubs are no different from the 'world'

I even overheard a couple of the 'elders' stating what a fine witness they had just given in regards to a religious conversation they had with someone during our layover.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We're too busy figuring out the wacky world of JWs to worry too much about Mormons

Well said undercover. The only difference I can see between the lds and the wts is that the lds has never done me any harm. I know nothing of their beliefs, but I imagine that they are not that hard to research. One thing though, truth.ceeker, don't offer them a coffee if they call again, that will offend them.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    During the course of the conversation they eventually had to admit that they where wrong on a number of differant issues. Of course, that didn't stop them from holding fast to their beliefs. Just like JW's they have such a deep attachment to their version of the truth, they fail to see anything outside of it.

Gee, that sounds like almost any religion around.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i dont mind em, they identify themselves at the door, they carry id and theyre quick to show it to you.they dont present themselves as if theyre doing market research or general enquiry stuff.

they will offer to mow your lawn/decorate do jobs to work off some of their tythe even if you tell them flat out that youre not interested and offer to show them the mormonssuck site.

the ones i've met round here are quite happy to come in and take 5 mins break and a cup o herbal tea and they are pretty interested about jws lol.

• a dam man
    a dam man

Some years ago I was working on a roof and the wind blew my ladder down. There were two Mormons working the street, and I asked them to set my ladder back up. They were very helpful and put the ladder back. I told them they were truly ladder day saints. This is a true story. You can't make up stuff this good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit