Are they really just saving themselves?...

by Hecklerboy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

They also like to use Abraham's potential sacrifice of Isaac as justification for this policy. See, they'll say, Abraham was willing to kill his son, because he knew that God could resurrect him. If you don't have the same attitude about your kids, you lack faith in God. Unfortunately this is exactly what it says at Hebrews 11:17-19:

(Hebrews 11:17-19) 17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac, and the man that had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up [his] only-begotten [son], 18 although it had been said to him: “What will be called ‘your seed’ will be through Isaac.” 19 But he reckoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead; and from there he did receive him also in an illustrative way.
    The whole Abraham "as good as" sacrifices Isaac is one of the OT stories that has always really turned my stomach. I have always wondered if "Go to hell, God!" would also have been an acceptable answer on Abraham's part; human sacrifice was ostensibly something that the unbelieving, pagan nations at that time did, and so perhaps God was only testing whether Abraham could recognize an impostor.

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

The loss of innocent lives does make me very sad now. I can't believe that I would have been there to judge someone if they would have decided to save their life or that of their childs.

• anewme
    anewme

Very good reasoning HecklerBoy!

Yes, the witnesses are all about qualifying for the carrotdice!

The Jews today do recognize the prohibition on blood in the Holy Scriptures. But they weigh that against the very strong pro -life message in the Bible.

They choose not to consume blood out of respect for the scriptures, but in the case of life and death, will take a transfusion to save human life.

The Law of God is for man, not man for the Law.

I thought this made very good sense!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit