I have a feeling that "The Watchtower" of 4/1/2006 was an April Fool

by MinisterAmos 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

The issue contains the "life story" of a Brother who has been in for sixty years, but it really sounds like someone from JWD who is subtly bashing the Org.

According to him he only got dunked some 60 years ago because "my mother (repeatedly) emphasized one point to me; ARMAGEDDON IS COMING SOON"! When he was baptized to age 13 he "only understood basic Bible teachings and understood that he was responsible to Jehovah for my conduct". Note he specifically omits mention of the WTBS as being representive of God and fails to mention "showing glory to the elders and others" as demanded in WT 9/1/97 but is seeming to mock the WT with the "soon" remark and also with the fact that he was baptized at 13, without his parent's permission and with little knowledge.

Anyway, his Mom is dead and here we are 60 years later. He has to realize that "soon" in terms of human beings is a few years, not a lifetime. His Mom died listening to false prophets claiming to interpret the word of God, and he wasted his whole life. No kids? It's because he listened to a bunch of control freaks in NY who are drunk with power and wanted his slave service as a missionary rather than to his heart.

God is not stupid, he knows we don't live a thousand years anymore, and therefore must be mighty pissed that the WT and its loser minions have been saying "soon" for well beyond the lifetime of any human.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My dad was baptized in 1935. When I asked him how he felt seeing everything promised to him (and me) 50 years ago by the Jehovah's Witnesses turn out to be untrue, he said, "It's still the best way to live, I couldn't have had a better life!".
    I could'a crapped a Buick . . . I went through all that Witness crap at home, at the Hall, and at school so he could have a good life? He told me it was "TRUTH" . . . now it's a club? Like a country club for hate mongers? I was pissed!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    I could'a crapped a Buick . . .

ROTFL! Interesting read but you sure talk funny Gary

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Gary

My wife says the same thing...

Me: "How will you feel when it all turns out to be a lie?"
    Wife: "It doesn't matter because I worship Jehovah not the organization. And I lived my life doing what He wants"
    Me: "But it is a lie, it isn't what he wants"
    Wife: "Well, people in the world have all these problems, and at least I was protected from that"
    Argument for the next hour.

• sinis
    sinis

Gary

Me: "How will you feel when it all turns out to be a lie?"

Wife: "It doesn't matter because I worship Jehovah not the organization. And I lived my life doing what He wants"

Me: "But it is a lie, it isn't what he wants"

Wife: "Well, people in the world have all these problems, and at least I was protected from that"

Argument for the next hour.

I think we're married to the same woman

• Severus
    Severus

That three-timing wench!!! Me too!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The next revelation is to recall that Bible writers said the end was 'soon' 2000 years ago.

• startingover
    startingover

doinmypart,

Some time ago I heard those exact words to. I must have missed the meeting where they made them memorize that cause that was damn near the same conversation we had. Several times in fact.

After having that conversation several times, reaching the point where I wanted to pull the hair out of my head in frustration, I finally gave up. I can see now, like Gary said, that it has really transformed itself into nothing more than a social club.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Here's how you respond to the "but it's a good way of life" argument:

Them: ...so even if it turned out to be false, I still have good friends, a good family, and I live a moral life. It's a good way to live.

You: So even if it's not true per se, it basically has some stuff on the ball, and you like that.

Them: Yeah.

You: But if it's not true, there might be other ways of life that also have some stuff on the ball, wouldn't you agree?

Them: There might be.

You: And in the case that it weren't true, you would certainly be free to check out whether other ways of life were better, would you not?

Them: ...

You: Because, myself, I'm pretty positive that there are even better ways to live. I don't think I would want to settle for just a good way. I'd want to find the best way. And you can't really know until you do an objective comparison. Personally, I'm glad I took the time to keep looking.

SNG

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I think we're all three married to the same woman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit