Watchtower Predictions

by zgborn 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Here's another little "hint" that The End was coming in '75. This was written in 1974:
    *** km 5/74 p. 3 How Are You Using Your Life? ***

Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.

But I guess it was really just the R&F "reading too much in" to what they were saying. Even their 'acknowledgement' that they screwed up royally in the March 15, 1980 WT was half-assed and not worth the paper it was written on:

*** w80 3/15 pp. 17-18 Choosing the Best Way of Life ***

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth........ Unfortunately........ there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Mary, also keep in mind that that was back in the 1,200 hours a year days, for pioneering. *shudder* 25 hours a week! And considering the gnat-straining way so many people count time, (i.e. someone "starts the clock" at the first "door,") geez Polly Pioneer, you better not ever get sick!

• Mary
    Mary

When I had lunch with Grace (Mouthy) yesterday, she told me how at one assembly in '74, the speaker specifically said there were only "months left" in this System of Things, "not years---but months" and that their only concern should be to "stay alive till '75". She said she wish she had've taped it, but of course, everyone thought that tapes would be destroyed at Armageddon so why bother taping anything? She quit her job to pioneer thanks to their prophecies that never materialized.

• Legolas
    Legolas
    what I would like to know is, has ANY Watchtower prediction of a future event come to pass?

NO...Not that I can think of!

BTW...Welcome to the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit