Is the WT currently associated with the UN?

by lost_sheep 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

That is true, jwfacts, but they did that for decades prior to the Associate membership and still do that today. They have never taught that there is something wrong with addressing a governmental body for redress of grievances or to appeal for relief of some oppressive circumstance.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• lost_sheep
    lost_sheep

Thanks to everyone for all the insightful comments. Especially AuldSoul... you have cleared up all my lingering misconceptions. Very informative posts, as always!

I realize now that i could have been more specific in my first post... sorry about that. I know that an organization simply being an NGO, by definition, does not imply relationship with the UN. What was scandalous was the WT's association with the UN's Department of Public Information & all the responsibilities that go with that association. As AuldSoul pointed out, it is this UN/DPI Association that is unconscionably hypocritical on their part, going against standards that the WT has published for decades. I hope everyone is now clear on this matter.

lost_sheep

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Two recent arti

• Dogpatch
  • Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Thanks Auldsoul I get it now. So it's not their role as an NGO attending UN conferences that is the problem, but the actual instance of applying to be an Associated Member of the UN Department of Public Information that "incriminates" them.
    Thank you so much for that concise explanation.

Regards,
    INQ

• heathen
    heathen

If I remember correctly when this first came out they were trying to say the only reason for this was so they could keep track of disaster regions and send aid . As far as I'm concerned they played with the devil and got burned on this one . They can't white wash this stuff.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

AuldSoul, do you think they are actually a "non profit" organization?

• Swan
    Swan

AuldSoul, do you think they are actually a "non profit" organization?

A non prophet organization is more like it.

Thanks for the clarification AuldSoul. I think I see what you're saying.

So would a better analogy be them applying for and having membership in the YMCA for ten years so the Bethelites could use the swimming pool? It doesn't matter the reason they joined; they did join and that very fact was hypocritical.

Tammy

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Swan,

Spot on! You got it. In fact that is the perfect analogy, they use the exact same paragraph to eject JWs who obtain a membership to the YMCA or YWCA for use of the swimming pool, tennis courts, or other facilities—not because of the joiner's intentions, but because of the organization's intentions.

This 10-year Associate membership was gross hypocrisy of the first order. Exactly the kind of hypocrisy that Romans 2:1, 2 righly calls "inexcusable."

plmcrzy,

No. I don't. I think they have been very clever (like many religious organizations) at hiding their profits. However, in the eyes of the law they are recognized as a non-profit organization. Although some subsidiaries are not-for-profit organizations, which operate on a slightly different basis and which benefit from their close association with such wealthy non-profit organizations. It is legal, but it is unethical in the extreme.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Kaput
    Kaput

Link directly to UN for the Paul Hoeffel letter of explanation regarding the WBTS association as an NGO with UN/DPI:

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf

Notice this excerpt from the first paragraph of the Hoeffel letter:

By accepting association with DPI, the organization agreed to meet criteria for association, including support and respect of the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities. (red highlighting mine)

Notice this excerpt from the October 1, 1985 Watchtower magazine, page 11, paragraph 14:

When the nations not only rejected God's Kingdom but also established their own organization to bring peace, that was rebellion. When religious leaders of Christendom identified that organization with God's Kingdom and the Gospel, proclaiming it to be "the only available instrument" for bringing peace, that was idolatry. They were putting it in the position of God's Kingdom, "in a holy place." Certainly, it was "standing where it ought not." (Matthew 24:15; Mark 13:14) And religious leaders continue to support the League's successor, the United Nations, rather than point men to God's established Kingdom. (red highlighting mine)

And from page 6 of the same magazine: 'The whole world lies in the power of the wicked one.' This includes the United Nations

Evidently the WBTS wanted it both ways...point men to God's established Kingdom while at the same time supporting "the blasphemous counterfeit of God's Messianic Kingdom" (Revelation -- Its Grand Climax At Hand! book, page 248, paragraph 9) under the control of Satan. Wonder how many blessings the WBTS got for playing both sides for 10 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit