Armageddon, Inc (1940) - The last critical article there was on JWs!

by VM44 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Gary, you are right that that might not be Covington. Knorr is unmistakable, but after looking at the picture I started to wonder if that really was Covington.

Gerald Bergman wrote in an article that "Eisenhower’s one time speech writer Stanley High...". This adds a little to indicate who Stanley High was.

--VM44

• garybuss
    garybuss

GRANT SUITER

Published: November 26, 1983

Grant Suiter, secretary-treasurer of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, the corporate name of the Jehovah's Witnesses relgious sect, died Tuesday at the group's world headquarters in Brooklyn.

He was 75 years old and lived at the society's residence on Columbia Heights.

Mr. Suiter joined the administrative office there in 1928, became a Watch Tower director in 1938 and secretary- treasurer in 1947. He traveled widely in this country and abroad to lecture at conventions and advise many of the organization's branches.

Mr. Suiter is survived by his wife, Edith, and a sister, Grace Kraker, also of Brooklyn.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E5D61039F935A15752C1A965948260

• garybuss
    garybuss

Now I'm not sure.
    Hayden C. Covington (left),

Going down, Grant Suiter on the left.

I think I need help . . .

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks Gary! Are these scans of your own copy of the magazine?

I hate to be a pest, but it would be REALLY COOL if there were some legible scans available on that article. Do you think this is possible?

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

gary and vm44 --

guys much thanks. I always find stuff like this interesting, and kind of sad at the same time. It goes to show the WT is as much a publishing company as a cult. Also, it re-iterates something else: I have heard more about Rutherford from APOSTATES (7 years) than I ever did from the platform at the Kingdom Hall (21 years). And, it seems to have started even as early as 1940.

-silent

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hey VM44 -- Thanks for this info! It looks like nothing has really changed with WT over the decades! Same old crap, just more of it!

• heathen
    heathen

Just earmarking the thread here . Y'all carry on the discussion ........................

• kazar
    kazar

Thanks VM44. I did not know that article existed. It was fascinating in the fact that I had been told how aggressive the WTS was in the "old days" by the older JW's. Thanks to everyone else that posted articles.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Thanks Gary! Are these scans of your own copy of the magazine? Yes! The magazine is 11 x 14. The pictures I made with my camera. My scanner is only 8 1/2 x 11.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Seems I remember there was an article written after the 1946 Assembly that was published in Collier's (and later abridged for Reader's Digest) entitled: "Jehovah's Traveling Salesman." It has been so long ago that I saw it that I can't say anything about the quality of the article. Perhaps some here know about it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit