May 7, 06 WT Study - Invalid Baptism

by Gander 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gander
    Gander

As the study went on I began to think about the baptism annulment letters I have seen people composing on this board. What if you just told everyone you never dedicated yourself to Jehovah?

Of course they would call you a liar for having said yes to the two questions during the baptism talk. But then, it wouldn't be a DFing offense since you weren't really dedicated and therefore couldn't be DFed. Afterall, baptism is just the public sign of dedication. If you state that you were never dedicated then you are free.

[END OF FANCIFUL DAYDREAMING]

• luna2
    luna2

Certainly, those who were baptised very young could use this and claim that they didn't truly understand what it meant. Not sure the WTS would go along with it or not, though. Some kids could easily claim that they were coersed by their parents too and that it wasn't their decision at all.

• Gander
    Gander

I was 13 myself. I know for a fact I never dedicated myself in prayer. I distinctly remember viewing the entire organization as a system that I had to "work" to get where I wanted to be. Baptism was simply one step in working the system. I think this attitude in myself springs from the overly legal structure of the organization where there is more emphasis on rules and orderliness than on love and personal relationships. Even the fact that I still refer to it as the "organization" shows this. They aren't the church or the fellowship, they are the organization or the society. Form is more important than function here I have come to learn. How sad.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Unique1, was able to have her baptism annulled. The Elders announced that she was no longer a JW. Of course the problem was that most of the congregation view her as disfellowshipped and shun her. Even her parents do though they don't have too.

It is shameful to have children baptized and them have no real concept of the consequences of that baptism is they fall away from the JW religion. No child should ever be baptized, it should only be people 18 and older. The WTBTS though continues to encourage child baptism. Their (the Governing Body) stupidity has no limits.

Balsam

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Unique1, was able to have her baptism annulled

I was thinking that...

• blondie
    blondie

I think if you claim you were too young yet continued as a baptized JW when you turned 18 and after, I don't think you would get very far with this.

My husband told me he was confirmed (the second step after baptism) when he was around 13, hardly old enough to know what he was doing but they did go through questions with the "candidates."

It is just that the consequences of being a JW are more serious, considering blood transfusion issues and DFing issues, are much more hurtful.

The thing to remember too that even children of JWs who were never baptized can still be and are "shunned" by family members for being "bad association."

Blondie

• Gander
    Gander

I think the result of a successful baptism annulment would be no announcement and no further accountability to or possible action from the organization.
    Regarding the age of baptism, look at next week's study. They first say how someone must have a full mental understanding of the issues and a sound basis for faith. Then they show the picture of a little girl getting baptised. Wasn't Jesus 32? I know he was at least 30. If I had waited until that age and still decided to be baptized I would at least feel obligated to abide by it. There is a reason children in the US can't be legally bound by a contract under the age of 18 without a guardian's concent. They simply don't have the life experience to be held accountable yet. Afterall, foolishness is in the heart of a boy.

• Gander
    Gander

"I think if you claim you were too young yet continued as a baptized JW when you turned 18 and after, I don't think you would get very far with this."
    I agree it would never fly in the organization. However, if you implant on a young person through peer pressure the need to conform or be rejected you strongly impact their future ability to rationaly decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong. Many faithful witnesses would be shocked and say that deciding for ourselves is definitely wrong. But the Bible indicates that we must do this for each must answer to God individually. That is why we have a conscience. That is why we have free will. But alas, I understand that the reply will be that I am right but this is a high-control society and therefore we are not allowed to think for ourselves.
    I can see why individuals have said in the past that religion is a crutch for the week minded. I don't personally hold this view of spirituality. However, a group such as the Jehovah's Witnesses certainly fits that description as I think it is a very comfortable feeling for those too lazy or too confused to think for themselves. I know I fit into that group in the past. Too bad I can't turn my rational mind off and be comfortably numb.

• Ariel84
    Ariel84

I was baptized at age 12 because I was pressured by a "pioneer sister". I had been going out in service during the summer and she asks me one day "so when are you going to get baptized?" " you should get baptized". I was really taken aback by her questioning at the time I think I said something like aren't I too young? I think I was scared to death to actually do it. I had no idea what it meant as a 12 year old. But I did it because it was expected of me and I didn't want to be looked down or labled "bad association" for not doing it. I can remember going over "the questions" with the elders and there was stuff I didn't understand but I answered from the book like a good little witness girl.

• nsrn
    nsrn

My brother's baptism was annulled; he was too young to remember it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit