Why so many versions of Genesis 2:19?

by Inquisitor 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Rex don't be a dumbass, he is a professional translator.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Many thanks again, Narkissos. I'll look it up.

Cheers

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

HB, I hadn't quite finished with my post after quoting the Watchtower. For some reason, this latter half got chopped off last night.

The problems I have with accepting the view that God is continually making animals after Adam's creation are:

1) What is the original verb and tense of Gen 2:19? From what Narkissos has said, the tense should be consecutive imperfect.

"consecutive" i.e. subsequent to Adam's creation

"imperfect" i.e. God had NOT created the animals in Genesis 2:19 BEFORE Adam. That verse meant to say the creation of flying creatures occurred after Adam.

Even if one is not ready to accept this is true, there is still a need to explain why there is such a variation in the tense at Genesis 2:19. <nudge, nudge, Shining One>

2) If indeed the creation of these animals need not end in the specific Day of Creation, what is the point of dividing the creative period into 7 Days? Since the making of things do not end in their respective Days, why didn't God just say he made everything in a SINGLE DAY of creation? What is the point of the 7 Days of Creation?

If the creative process is not limited to the Day it begins, why does Genesis 1 record that God had reflected on His handiwork at the end of each Day and "saw that it was good"?

3) The Genesis 1 account does not narrate in such a way as to suggest that the creative work of each day overlaps or extends into other Days of Creation. In fact the account seems to suggest that each creative work is limited to its own day. So the suggestion of a "continual creative process", while appealing to the problem of Genesis 2:19, does not fit well with Genesis 1.

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

One last question, how does one pronounce " wayyiçer"?

What consonent is "ç" suppose to resemble?

INQ

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    how does one pronounce " wayyiçer"? What consonent is "ç" suppose to resemble?

The conventional pronunciation is ts -> wayyitser. You will find many transliterations for it: ts, tz, z (as in German), s (with a diacritical dot beneath), ç (so the French TOB = Ecumenical translation). The latter is convenient in writing (at least on a French keyboard), and has the advantage of one letter standing for one letter ("ts" might wrongly suggest two Hebrew letters).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit