Take Back Your Life: Chapter 7: Undoing the damage Part 1

by Lady Lee 13 Replies latest members private

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    I believe in the body. I believe the body doesn't lie and if we listen, it can tell us a lot about ourselves; what happened and what issues need addressing

I totally agree Chris. I used to recommend that people touch something cold metal (hot might burn them). The extra sensation of cold along with hard can help bring a person out of the trance-like/floating state.

I know I used to do it a lot more than I do now. Kids get into it when they are sitting in front of the TV or gameboy.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

hhmmm ... never thought of that LL. Wish I knew you 20 years ago!

I also believe in dreams. I realize this is a little off topic, but I do think that when we dream it is an opportunity to listen to what our sub-conscious is trying to say. And especially after leaving a sect like the Witnesses, it can be helpful.

But as far as disociative feelings, it is real and it is a sign of real damage inflicted on someone by another. The body doesn't lie. And if the issue isn't dealt with, that floating feeling starts to become a habit and ingrained but the feelings behind fester and will come out in other ways.

Chris

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    And if the issue isn't dealt with, that floating feeling starts to become a habit and ingrained but the feelings behind fester and will come out in other ways

And while a defence mechanism such as dissociation works well for people at the time of a trauma or when it was learned to cope with abuse situations it really messes things up when you try to use them in the real world..

Eventually the memories/feelings/behaviours have to express themselves either as physical illnesses or out of control emotional responses.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In honor of Mother's Day and Lady Lee, BTTT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit