It's My FIRST BIRTHDAY! :)

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Hey Everyone,

I'm turning 25 here today, May 4. It's the first time I've ever celebrated my birthday. My friends find this hard to understand. They are all showing how much they are glad to know me by taking me out in true birthday fashion. We are having dinner at The Birthday Bar of my area, and we are doing whatever else I want to do. I have chosen miniature golfing cuz it is fun. I've got about 20 people so excited for my birthday and I just can't believe it! The 24 years I spent in the Witnesses I never ONCE felt this loved. It's good to be living. It's good to be free. It's good to be me.

So one of my girlfriends that I work with says they are going to get me a cake with one candle on it.

I can't believe how excited I am! I always thought I wasn't missing out because .... well whatever .... I obviously was missing out! It breaks my heart that my niece and nephew are being raised in the same messed-up way. My nephew turns five this fall and I so want to send him a card and gift! Poor little sweetheart.

Happy Birthday to ME - la la!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

OK just as I was tooting my own horn, Merry was already starting one of her two threads of the day just for me. Aw, what love is here. This warms my heart.

• Es
    Es

Happy bday

Hope you have an awesome one

es

• Frog
    Frog

Hey there GG, and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! yaya for birthdays...i know what you mean hon, birthdays can be such a strange experience for an ex-dub, to start with anyway!

It seems to strange to have all this, what seems to be uncalled for, love and affections showered on you, but after you've had a couple you realise what an important part of our culture it is, to show those close to you just how much you appreciate them being the world. Sure you can do this on other days, and at other times, but from a ritual point of view I think it's an incredibly beautiful, and valuable celebration for a person to participate in. Especially as a young child, of which we all unfortunately missed out :(

JW's can see all they like that they make it up to their kids in other ways, but in my experience that was rarely the case. I think most dub parents are just happy not to have the burden of birthdays. Imo, birthdays don't need to be a burden. Just an email, a small card, a handmade gift, a non-expensive dinner, or whatever, can have the most heartwarming effects on a person :)

Anyway girl, you have a great birthday, and think of how many more of them you have to come! yaya!!

luv frog xox

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I'm turning 25 here today, May 4. It's the first time I've ever celebrated my birthday. My friends find this hard to understand. They are all showing how much they are glad to know me by taking me out in true birthday fashion.

My first birthday was my 25th too....it was a weird experience to start with but they just get better and better; sounds like you have some great friends who really value you.

Happy Birthday

DB74

• KW13
    KW13

Well its good your celebrating it! Hope you have a perfect day

Happy Birthday

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Cheers Good Girl,

I have had two now, 21 and 50. Loved them both.

Best wishes for all of your future birthdays

Chris

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Happy birthday - you have a brilliant time! It took me a while to warm up to them - like years, but thats because I was still believing JW culture and that surviving another year was nothing to celebrate and would attribute me undue honour.If only I'd thought it out properly - ie wedding anniversaries give undue honour too - its your duty to stay married - it shouldnt be a cause for celebration that you have done - etc!

This last birthday I just had a handful of very close friends with me and just the hugs and knowing they love me was really comforting.

• Legolas
  • ferret
    ferret

Happy Birthday GG.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit