Would you shame someone for going back to the Witnesses?

by free2beme 35 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was thinking about this, as I have a former Witness friend who is showing signs of wanting to go back, even though they have expressed over the years a lot of frustration and lack of belief for the faith. As much as I find their decision to be a mistake, I do understand why. After all, unlike myself and family, I have never been shunned by the few family members left in and I moved on over the last decade to build new friendships and hobbies. Whereas they have just kind of become a hermit and still long for the life they considered normal as a Witness. So as much as I think they will live to regret their decision, I would not shame them for it. As I know this happened when I was in the faith and I am sure in a group this size, you must know or experienced something like this yourselves.

How would you handle it though, would you shame someone for this?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No, I would not shame them because how could I say that I am any different then the JW that judges or tries to shame people into being one. My concern would be if my now reactivated JW friend tries to pressure me into going back. That is when I would probably be inclined to remind them of the things they said in the past (and I guess shame them a little) and move on from there.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Absolutely not. I would never do that. You can never fully know another individuals circumstances. I would however do all that I could to try and help that person achieve happiness and a fulfilling life beyond the witnesses. My heart would break for them to go back into that insanity but you can't make up a person's mind for them....

I wish you all the best with your friend.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I wouldn't have to. They would shun me.

• Balsam
    Balsam

No, I have a JW friend who was disf'ed and finally got reinstated after 5 years of going to meetings. She is mentally ill and feels most content to be in the witnesses. I have another friend in Calif who is thinking of going back, so I just tell her to do what is right for her.

We don't live live these people's skins so they just have to do what brings them happiness what ever it is. I would never return I know that, and they respect my decision, and that is all I ask.

Balsam

• carla
    carla

Would you shame someone who joined a current Nazi SS group? if so why?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

No, but I would majorily roll my eyes at them!

• blondie
    blondie

If they want to go back to what they remember, why shame them. They may quickly be reminded why they left and some new reasons.

I just tell them that if they need help or decide they don't want to stay I am there to help.

Blondie

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

No. I would feel sad for them, pity them and pray for them.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Like the majority of posters here, I would not shame them. If I did shame or shun them I wouldn't be any better than the J-dubs.

I want to be accepted for my decisions and beliefes and therefore am obligated to do the same for others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit