Can Anyone Solve this Quote?

by Amazing1914 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Luke records the following:

And as they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Separate me Barnabus and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." - KJV / AV
    All Bible translations, including the New World Translation has this verse. What objective evidence do you have to say that it is not a "person" speaking? Does speaking in the first person matter at all? If it is not a person, then why do we say that the Father is a person when he speaks in first person? Why do we say that the Devil is a person when he speaks in first person. False argumentation, like comparative analogies, are insufficient proof. Personification is not permitted here, because the writing style is not poetic, but is a historical narrative. Semantic and philosophical arguments, like "Well, God is not a person like we humans" are utterly irrelevant and useless. I am not looking for a certain result. I absolutely do not care for the outcome. I care about objective evidence, and well developed comments on language studies and credible sources. Thanks, Jim Whitney

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Father is a person -- a spirit creature but not a person in the sense of ahuman being or what most people would understand

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Stillajwexelder,

Okay, so what are you saying?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Amazing, the scripture that you have cited is found at Acts 13:2. It is just one verse out of about 50 verses found in the book of Acts that addresses this concern as to whether the Holy Spirit is a separate and distinct Divine Person. We need to put all of the verses in their context and explore this verse with them.

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

"The conventional conception of the Holy Spirit as a separate and distinct Divine Person is a growth. It was not a belief of early Christianity." Basil Wilberforce, D.D.

I have not studied Basil, have you?

Blueblades

• VM44
    VM44

To whom was the Holy Spirit speaking? Prophets? Were these words audibly heard? Or are they a verbalization of divine direction received by those (the prophets?) who laid their hands on this anoited pair, Saul and Barnabas?

--VM44

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

How about poor pronoun choice/bad writing by the author/writers?

What if that was the case, that it was a mistake to write it that way.

It seems pointless to me to base one's entire theology upon the turn of a word, phrase, or scripture. One needs to look at the big picture.

The fact is that, even if one accepts the notion that the Bible is inspired, it is so flawed and full of errors that to base theological conclusions upon any one or few particular scriptures seems to be mere folly.

Looking at the big picture, I do not see that Holy Spirit is anything more than God's power, his active force as JWs say. That understanding seems to be more compatible with the entire body of the Holy Scriptures than the idea that it is a person.

-Eduardo

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi everyone,

I appreciate your comments. However, I need to clarify a couple of things.

Oroborus said,

It seems pointless to me to base one's entire theology upon the turn of a word, phrase, or scripture. One needs to look at the big picture.

I am not basing any theology, much less an entire theology on one verse. I am not dealing with the Trinity in this verse. The project I have been working on for the last year has reviewed every verse in the New Testament, and several in the Old Testament which speaks of the Holy Spirit.

If I put up ten or fifteen or more verses of the Holy Spirit speaking, it does not change anything. If I say that the Holy Spirit spoke through a prophet, it changes nothing, because the Father spoke through prophets. None of us have ever heard God speak audibly, so all our information is through some media.

I am focusing on one simple aspect of language and writing. All translations carry this verse in nearly idential wording, and identical grammar structure, including the NWT. If you are reading this verse, is there any basis on which to conclude that the Holy Spirit is or is not a person?

Blueblades,

No, I have not studied Basil. I will look him up now that you mention him. I understand the various claims some make about how the early church gradually developed many of its teachings and features. The Trinity developed much sooner and was fully detailed by 190 AD. However, as noted above, this is not my focus. How does one read the sentance involved? Why does context say? What do some of your favorite commentaries and theological dictionaries say? What does gramatical structure lead us to believe?

Jim Whitney

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi everyone,

I told Jim I was not going to get into a discussion about the Holy Spirit again with him and in a way, I am not. He already knows my personal views as we must have covered hundreds of posts back and forth on the issue. But I would like to address one thing that is wrong with this post he made. Because it has been bothering me all day.

Jim,

You start off by asking if anyone can solve this quote? then you go on and say, well if you try to solve it, I will only let you give this kind of evidence which I find as satisfactory. these are not your exact words but are pretty close. This is very unfair to everyone else and is not opening up the issue for discussion at all. Because you are stacking the evidence in your favor - by limiting the evidence that someone can give.

secondly, you will never get an adequate response that will make you satisfied. This is why - because you want proof from a language expert as to why the early bible writers used the first person when speaking about the holy spirit. There is no way to get this information and that is the point that you are not getting. A language expert is not even the right one to ask about this.

You would have to ask NOT a language expert from today, but one of the bible writers themselves. Becuase the early bible writers were not literary masters of the english language and probably would not understand what it means to write in the first person. Do you understand this? Modern man has made up terms such as "first person" and he did so to explain a type of writing style. But you cannot conclusively prove that this is how the bible writers felt unless you ask them yourself. By writing in the first person, they may or may not have been trying to make a particular point about the holy spirit. It does not matter what a language expert of today says. You have to ask a man of faith, who has expereinced the Holy Spirit first hand, just what he meant by the description he gave and why he spoke in the first person.

sometimes we make things more complicated then they are. The bible writers could simply have been trying to describe a very difficult concept, (holy spirit) and wrote that it spoke in the first person to emphasis that it is real and not just a figment of their imagination. It could be just that simple. Many times when people write and try to explain difficult concepts, they use language that will help people grasp the concept. But after over 2,000 years to go back and try to figure out exactly why they wrote in a particular style, is impossible.

And the concept of the trinity could have been the early church fathers way of explaining a hard concept about the nature of God, Jesus and holy spirit. They are linked together in a sense. Believers are linked to God and Christ by the indwelling of the holy spirt. But most people will never understand the true nature of the holy spirit unless THEY experience the indwelling of it.

to me, the verse you quoted when I read it in context was just showing that a prophet most likely was interpreting what God wanted as he revealed it to the prophet by his holy spirit. Because it was a prophet that was speaking and not the holy spirit itself. To you, the holy spirit himself was speaking. Either one could be correct. Or, maybe we are both wrong.

I don't understand why you don't just put it to rest already. You have argued this point on several threads already about whether the holy spirit speaks on his or its own or not. Or whether the spirit should be personafied or is a personal thing. All these concepts are human made. Just like with faith in God, you have to experience it to get it. Same with holy spirit. You have to experience it to get it.

I could tell you about my personal experince with holy spirit, but then again, it would not meet your outlined criteria of proof.

Why not just accept that some believe the holy spirit is a person and some do not? And move on to other more important things.

Anyway, have a good night.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Lovelylil,

I am not limiting what people can do. I just am trying to avoid the usual claptrap cliches' and biased speculative philosophical plausibilities. These are fine in another context. Personification, for example, has run its course, and it is not suitable in a non-peotic historical narrative. Rather, I requested something different, such as comments on grammar, language, and logical and intellectual commentary based on facts and evidence from favorite experts on the meaning of this verse.

If you say that you are not going to get involved, then why do you? I well know that you hold the Holy Spirit as some "thing" that God uses, and not as a person. So, are you just trying to influence the outcome of this thread? I have no agenda, and I do not care about the outcome. I am trying to get some unbiased comments and intellectually honest answers. I respect various input, and am not seeking agreement.

If you have something new and relevant to the language and evidentiary basis to support your input, please feel free to comment. I respect you and your good motives and ability to have a discussion in more than a single sentance. But, let's avoid the road taken in the Trinity thread. That is why I moved away from that thread. The rounds of discussion on that thread ran their course.

You would have to ask NOT a language expert from today, but one of the bible writers themselves. Becuase the early bible writers were not literary masters of the english language and probably would not understand what it means to write in the first person. Do you understand this?

Please don't talk down to me. The writers of the Bible, even if they were morons, were supposedly directed by the Holy Spirit. So, the Holy Spirit should know how to write in a logical language or guide those that can write. Your claims about early writers not being able to understand sentance structure in modern English is a silly assertion. What kind of argument is that? No such claim is made! They wrote in Hebrew or Greek, two very highly developed languages. They were not stupid. We today can translate their languages. Every Bible translation has been able to translate the above verse from Acts 13:2 the same way. If the Holy Spirit is not a person, and he may not be, how do we understand a verse written in the first person as this one is? It is very simple, and not complicated as your post is.

Thanks, Jim Whitney

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit