THE SECRET - worth watching

by jwfacts 6 Replies latest social current

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi,
    A couple of months ago Behindtheiron curtain posted a thread about The Secret. I inaccurately said it was by the Raelians, who also made What the Bleep. I was wrong on both counts. What the Bleep was not done by the Raelians but Ramthas school of enlightenment, and was a weak New Age summary of Quantum Physics. Neither of these two groups are related to the people that made The Secret. The Secret is quite a lot more interesting.

I watched The Secret the other night and was very impressed. Don't read any further if you dont want to know the punchline............................................... The secret is that what you imagine will be. It discusses that everything in the universe is an interconnected energy field, and that positive thinking affects all that is around you. If you think you will be rich, you will be rich. This is the secret that has been known but all great minds.

Before you scoff, the movie is a documentary (in the style of What the Bleep) that quotes from a lot of famous people from the ages. It agrees with the concept of Christianity that they more you pray the more likely something will happen, and quotes from Einstein and Buddha.

Another cool thing is that the movie is one of the first that can stream in real time in good quality over the internet, and you pay with PayPal. If you live in Australia then you will need to hide your IP address to be able to watch it. It is at www.thesecret.tv

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

That sounds a lot like the book think and grow rich. I really do believe thatall of us make our own eventualities, on a sub-consous level.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Most self help books are the same, focus on what you want and stay positive.

Is it coincidence, or it there really something to all this? I would love to know what Athiests think.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

If anyone has tested this theory, it would be interesting to see what sort of statistics it would produce. For example, if everyone who plays the lottery thinks they might win, will they?

Getting rich is not a state of mind, it's all about not wasting your resources and taking the right opportunities to invest your savings in the right way.

But, I think positive thinking in social situations probably produces positive results.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I do think there is a lot to be said about positive thinking. It does work. I am not just talking about positive beliefs in God but in other things too.

I am a Nurse Assistant and I have worked with thousands of cancer patients and other terminally ill over the last 12 years and those who maintain a positve attitude always live much longer than those who do not. Many when they think they have a death sentence just give up on life. My mom died of cancer too but she live 10 years with it and only got really bad a few months before she died. Up until then, she looked and acted perfectly normal and healthy. she refused to allow it to ruin whatever time she had left. She lived 10 years after the doctors gave her six months. My dad who had cancer was the opposite. Although his prognosis was good, he did not handle cancer well, he always was negative anyway and he died in three months after his diagnosis. He should have gone into remission the docs. said. So I believe there is something for positive thinking.

Also those who are negative get sick much more often. I have seen studies on this.

I also have read reports that those who have a belief in a higher power, live longer, less stressful lives.

I believe in God but also believe in good energy and I refuse to associate with any negative people because they make me feel so much stress. And they put off a bad energy field, as I call it.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    Also those who are negative get sick much more often. I have seen studies on this.

That is so true. Case in point - my mother and sister. They are always negative about everyting!!! And they are always sick!!

I have to say I was alot sicker when I was regularly attending meetings etc. I suffered from migrane headaches, IBS, skin conditions (exema, dermatitis, rosacia), and now that I've stopped going to meetings and have come to terms with my decision I'm free of all that.

I try and look for the good in a situation, and try and get my mom and sister to do the same. They've noticed the change in me, and I think it makes them notice the negative aspects to themselves and they don't like it. They liked me much better when I was negative with them. Sadly I have to limit the amout of time I spend with them because I can't take the negativity.

BB

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I certainly believe that how we approach life has a big impact on how it turns out. However, I am interested in the line that said that there is a very large energy field. So basically this movie was examining the scientific standpoint and not just the psychological component.

I wonder if my movie rental place has it? I'm not too excited about watching a full length movie on my laptop.

Thanks,

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit