Do you appreciate the beauty of still, calm, silence?

by nicolaou 20 Replies latest jw friends

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

Very much:

- that is one of the reasons why, at every opportunity, I load up my pack and disappear into the mountains (alone) for several days.

(Early on, this got me into trouble with the local JW administration. Instead of removing myself into the bush for the weeked, I should have remained in town to help sell WTS products for them!)

The words of the Canadian poet, Robert Service come to mind:

"....Its that great big broad land way up yonder,

Its the forests where silence has lease,

Its the beauty that thrills me with wonder,

Its this silence that fills me with peace."

He was talking about the Yukon, but he could just as easily be describing where I go (i.e. the hinterland of Turiwhate!.)

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

There is an author who has put out Places to find Peace and Quiet There are a number of city's that have their own version of this book. It often times lists 50 of the most peaceful places in a crazy big city. The book also tries to list quiet and peaceful places that are either free or inexpensive.

My fav. the sound of waves, while sitting on the sand on a warm summer evening, with my toes digging in the sand.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Yes, I do.

However, I can fall fast asleep over honking of cars and people screaming outside.....ahhh the sounds of home!

Brooke

• White Waves
    White Waves

Yes, every day I take time out to sit on my deck and listen to the birds and watch the trees sway in the breeze.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

...... Off to go meditate.

• Fleur
    Fleur

So much so that sometimes, I stay up all night, till daybreak, just to live the silence a few moments more.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Yes, yes, yes.

• bythesea
    bythesea

Absolutely!! I can hear the ocean from my house, its such a peaceful calming sound...and makes for the perfect background for listening to your own thoughts and to contemplate and to just BE!!! But I'd be ok with absolute utter quiet too....

Sitting at the beach all alone brings me so much closer to God than sitting in a KH ever did!!

Bythesea

• Amazing1914
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

I do. But if its some where that is usually meant to be alive with sound like a workplace shopping mall or something and it suddently falls still and silent I get a little bit alarmed as to why that might be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit