Today in Denver--immigrant protests

by Brigid 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Brigid
    Brigid

Well, things promise to get pretty nutty here in Denver. There is going to be a purported 50,000 plus march on the capital so downtown will be effectively shut down. So far, I've not had any problem whatsoever receiving my goods and services (so far, I've purchased gas, coffee, and taken my car to the shop), so I've not experienced a total shut down of the city, as promised. But that is only my experience. I have made a friend at my son's preschool of one of the grandfather's of the students. He is a gentleman of about 70-ish who immigrated from Mexico in his youth. We have some interesting conversations. He is of course pro immigration (legally or otherwise) and amnesty. He likes the fact that I can converse in fairly decent Spanish. And he is very very nice and we respect and genuinely like one another. It simply reminds me that on the individual level we truly do want to get along and love one another--it is only when collectives and group think take over our individual consciousness, that fear and destruction can take root. I am thinking of the Desiderata that my father lovingly sent me years ago and that hangs by my bed to remind me of certain things. I went to a Unity Church (metaphysical) yesterday and as I sat in the midst of that beautiful, peaceful place with people of all different nationalities, races, colors, creeds, sexual preferences, ways to approach the Divine, I thought to myself--this, in reality is the embodiment of all those goofy, fake pictures the WTBTS likes to put in their magazines of paradise. People (Beings of Light) coming together for higher consciousness. This is reality. *sigh* I simply hope nobody brings a gun. It would be very bad. Love and Light,

~Brigid

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him Her (sic) to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

• daystar
  • Brigid
    Brigid

back atchya....now..ummm.....uh....where,.....where was I...B asks dreamily....

Oh yes, immigrant population shutting down city....universal love.....light....consciousness

Damnit! You made me lose my train of thought!

~Brigid

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

They're not immigrants. They're invaders. An immigrant is somebody who comes to another country by permission of the country. They snuck over the border.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Marching on downtown? I'm surprised they're not marching down Federal...

Jourles, of the former Colorado native and glad he doesn't live there anymore class

• Jourles
    Jourles

Wait until the Avs win the Stanley Cup. Then you'll see what a shutdown looks like downtown. 50,000? Please. The GABF almost gets that many.

• juni
    juni

I heard on the news that they expect 25,000 people to demonstrate at the Capitol bldg. today here in Madison, WI

Juni

• Brigid
    Brigid

Marching on downtown? I'm surprised they're not marching down Federal...

Jourles, of the former Colorado native and glad he doesn't live there anymore class

So, you do know Denver! Now, how can you be glad you don't live here anymore??? What place could possibly be so alluring (unless it's Texas) that it could draw you away from the Rocky Mountains? Yes, then there is the beloved AVS. What a disappointment this season. I could be enticed to fall back in love if they'd bring my Modano over here.

I have experienced nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Brigid

• Brigid
    Brigid
    They're not immigrants. They're invaders. An immigrant is somebody who comes to another country by permission of the country. They snuck over the border.

So, "they're" here (by whatever means, this one fact remains). "We're" here. Neither party seems to be going anywhere.

Now what?

I do believe in some sort of regulation of this thing but not for xenophobic purposes. I've lived in border states and seen how exploited and yes, at times, exploitive people can be to one another when there are no regulations and there is a system of fear of being "outed" and losing everything. I've seen people living like animals. Not knowing the language, labor rights, etc. Not pretty.

We're a unique nation built on ideas, not tribalism (as we all come from different tribes), totally reliant on the rule of law to keep us together. Will we weather this?

Time will tell. I can't help but wonder what the Native Americans are thinking about all this mishegosh?

~Brigid

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I for one don't want to get along with illegals, my first thought was there they are get the bastards, to me they rank right at being trash, they come here break the law and then they want free medical, put their stupid kids in our school system, they don't want to assimilate into american life, Our very stupid President bush wants to kiss thier ass, he is little more than a traitor to me. He acts like he was elected by the the illegals and not the american people, he has failed to secure our borders and we have to pay for it. he needs to quit kissing the ass of the mexican president and stand up and secure our borders then go on a trash hunt (illegals) and get rid of them.

I am not racist either, my spouse is oriental, my son n law is of mexican descent and my up coming son n law is of mexican descent and my sister n law is of mexican descent. they like me our against illegals, i am just vocal about it than they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit