Looking for input on the "Rapture" doctrine...

by Jamelle 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Saw a documentary on TV this weekend about it. Have heard about the "Left Behind" series of books that deal with this belief.

One thing that caught my attention about the belief in the Rapture was that it seemed very dark. It seems to focus more on the scary things that are talked about in Revelation than the message of peace and love that I admire in the teachings of Christ.

The other thing that bothered me is that it seemed similar to the Witnesses in that you have to be "saved" or you are going to die. Sounds alot like, "unless you are one of Jehovah's Witness, you are going to die!"

I know that my mother-in-law belives in the Rapture, and I questioned my husband on it briefly and he, after hesitating, said that he believed in it too.

Yes, I know, fine time for me to discover this about him, but we have really never talked about religous matters much, and when we do its about my past, etc.

Just looking for others out there that have information or opinions on this subject. I'm not trashing the idea, I'm not supporting the idea. I'm just looking for information. Thanks in advance for any input!

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Beam me up Scotty.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

There is no word Rapture in the bible but the idea of the saints being caught up to heaven is taken from this bible verse;

1 Thessalonians 4:15-18 (New International Version)
    15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage each other with these words. The idea is that when Christ comes at the second Advent, he will resurrect the dead saints (believers in him) first, then those saints or believers alive on earth will be caught up with them. And they shall all be with Christ forever. Different churches teach different opinions on this. Some teach the dead in Christ go to heaven automatically when they die. But Pauls words here seem to say that they are all, living and dead, raised together with Christ at the same time. So therefore, I believe the dead Christians are still in the grave. The whole point of Pauls writing this is to show that those who died would not be taken to heaven without them. After this happens, there are differences of opinion as to what happens to those left on the earth. Some feel they are all destroyed. I don't because in Revelation it shows that there are savivors of the Great Tribulation. And I personally do not believe all those who are not Christians will be killed just for being in a spiritual darkness. (not my words but words of believers) Some feel that those on earth go thru a judgement period, think is closer to the truth I think. But, I won't go into detail with these views because I really have not studied these beliefs enough to comment.
  • jstalin
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Most Christian denominations don't major on it. Those that do seem to be at the more extreme end of the speculum...

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

My husband strongly believes in it. I don't see support from the scriptures regarding this. How can they use one scripture to base it on?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Just for the record, Daniel also prophesied about multitudes of dead being raised from the grave at one time. See Daniel 12:2, and the righteous being glorified. Also Paul again speaks of this happening in 1Corinthians 15:51-54.

The early diciples and Apostles had a hope of being raised with Christ and glorified also. This is all the hope they list all thru-out the NT. So it is not just one scripture. Paul in his letter to the Corinthians uses almost the same words as he did in his letter to the Thessalonians showing this same hope. Which is for the dead believers and the believers alive at Christ's coming to be raised to be with Christ together. This is a biblical teaching.

The only thing that does not appear in the Bible is the Literal Word "Rapture".

I am just trying to explain where the Rapture belief came from biblically. I am not debating whether it is a true belief or not. I guess it only is if you believe the Bible. If you don't believe it, then it obviously does not apply to you anyway.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is an excellent overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Wasn't this supposed to happen in the 1st century, during the lifetime of the original apostles?

• barry
    barry

The rapture doctrine divides the second comming into two events separated by seven years and is a very recent doctrine in christianity. I beleive it was developed by the bretherine many baptists beleive the doctrine too. One of the great supporters of the doctrine is hal Linsey in the Late Great Planet Earth.

No theologins in christindom go along with Hal Linseys interpretations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit