C.S.I. Bridesmaids

by Poztate 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate

I was watching CSI (crime scene investigation) with my wife last night. The crime scene was at a wedding and a remark was made to the effect that the"historic" purpose of bridesmaids was to ward off evil spirits. Google turned up this comment amongst others...

CHOOSING YOUR BRIDESMAIDS

A BRIEF HISTORY
    The history of the bridesmaid varies across cultures, religions and time periods. In early Roman times, bridesmaids formed a kind of bridal infantry as they accompanied the bride to the groom's village. This "protective shield" of similarly outfitted bridesmaids was supposed to intervene if any wayward thugs or vengeful suitors tried to hurt the bride or steal her dowry.

However, the Western bridesmaid tradition seems to have originated from later Roman law, which required ten witnesses at a wedding in order to outsmart evil spirits believed to attend marriage ceremonies. The bridesmaids and ushers dressed in identical clothing to the bride and groom, so that the evil spirits wouldn't know who was getting married. Even as late as 19th century England, the belief that ill-wishers could administer curses and taint the wedding still existed. In Victorian wedding photographs, for example, it can take quite a bit of inspection to pick out the bride and groom from among the other members of the bridal party!

I commented to my wife to the effect "well there goes having bridesmaids at a witness wedding" but she refused to rise to the bait. I do find it incredible that they are so anal about such things as having toasts or throwing rice but would let this blow right by them. They are a religion (cult) of pick and choose. Maybe there will be new light on this soon. Maybe someone should send in a "questions from readers"™

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I saw it last night. Bridesmaids are fine, but not throwing the bouquet or lighting a unity candle.

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

Hey Poztate-

I just made a similar post about CSI...Crazy huh? I was also searching on the web about other wedding traditions...quite interesting. Just one more reason why the WTS is so crazy!!

• anewme
    anewme

I find this sooo funny! I actually saw this confusion way back and questioned my BS conductor about these things. She just downplayed it all by saying many areas are a conscience matter.

You are darn tooting! Most of a Christians life is a conscience matter and nobody else's business!

Check out those fundys who dont use electricity or drive autos or who wear black bonnets and wide brim black hats or those who insist we shouldnt eat meat or cut our hair or shave our pits or wear deoderant or
    use soap! There is no end to imposing ones conscience on another. Those weird clans and cults are proof.

There has got to be a principle that one can go by in these matters like "Is life at risk?"
    "Would this bring harsh criticism down on the family?" "Would this offend the sensibilities of the surrounding community?"

• Poztate
    Poztate

Hey Poztate-

I just made a similar post about CSI...Crazy huh? I was also searching on the web about other wedding traditions...quite interesting. Just one more reason why the WTS is so crazy!!

OOPS...I just signed in and posted before looking around. It is bizarre how the WT can be SO INSISTANT on some points and say how other stuff doesn't matter. Look at Mexico and the Pinata idea

Check out those fundys who dont use electricity or drive autos or who wear black bonnets and wide brim black hats or those who insist we shouldnt eat meat or cut our hair or shave our pits or wear deoderant or

use soap! There is no end to imposing ones conscience on another. Those weird clans and cults are proof.

Please.....Use Soap

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Don't wedding rings and wedding cake also have "pagan" origin?

JW's - the only thing they are consistent on is being hypocritical!

• Poztate
    Poztate

You bet and I think the only reason they don't "attack" things like that is the backlash from the "rank and file"™ that they would get.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

double standards - I have to write to the WTBTS about this

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

This got me thinking. Didn't the married women in ancient Isreal wear nose rings? I wonder what elders would say about that?

W

• Poztate
    Poztate
    This got me thinking. Didn't the married women in ancient Isreal wear nose rings? I wonder what elders would say about that?

W

They would say "we don't want to stumble anyone" so remove it for the sake of the weak. I think the best thing is if all those who are "easily stumbled" have to go to another few meeting each week for indoctrination so they don't get stumbled so easily.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit