Is there new light on separation/divorce?

by somebodylovesme 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Hi all --

I had a chance to thumb through the Bible Teach book (which was a waste of fifteen minutes of my life that I'll never get back ...) and I had a question about the section on family life. I believe it stated that separation was allowed in some extreme situations (not named), but that divorce was only allowed in cases of fornication.

I was never a JW, but I'm currently watching a JW family member go through some crap in their marriage. My question: does the Society "allow" divorce in cases of spousal abuse? I thought for sure they used to. But that book excluded any mention of abuse when discussing divorce.

Thanks in advance --
    SLM

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

They allow seperation in cases of abuse, neglect (physical or spiritual), and one other that I can't remember. The point being that you wouldn't be free to remarry because adultry had not taken place.

HS

• vitty
    vitty

No, not even for abuse, although they are allowed to separate, but must stay alone for the rest of their lives, unless one of them goes with someone (has sex I mean ) Then they can devorce

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks, guys -- that policy is such absolute bullshit. Which I know you know.

grrrrrrrr!!

• blondie
    blondie
    does the Society "allow" divorce in cases of spousal abuse? I thought for sure they used to.

Here in the US, I have seen JWs divorce on the basis of spousal abuse because it clears up some legal problems.

The catch is that unless one of them commits adultery, they can't scripturally remarry.

w00 11/1 p. 5 Is Bible Morality the Best? ***
    Still, couples who observe the Bible’s moral standards try to forgive and to work out their difficulties together. Of course, there are circumstances—such as adultery or physical abuse—when a Christian may appropriately consider separation or divorce
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They can divorce. However, the society will not consider them to be free to remarry unless adultery was committed. I've seen some get away with it and not be DF'd or reproved, but those were people who were in prominent JW families.

W

• Fleur
    Fleur

Yes, that's right, no one can remarry unless 'adultery' is proven. Not just committed, mind you, proven. This is why I have known some women to hire private investigators on their exes to prove the deed had been done when the men were playing them but they congregation wouldn't acknowledge it.

I've also known of situations like this... when your 'loving jw husband' cries to the congregation that he's so heartbroken that you're leaving him (but neglects to tell them you're abusing her) and he starts dating someone while the divorce is going on, poised to remarry soon as it's final...and so tells his wife that he'd "better be able to remarry in the kingdom hall; or ELSE"...so a terrified young women has to choose to give up her family to get out with her life and let them have their stinking, backward, dark-ages-mentality oppressive publishing company and just get away...*pointing to self*

I am so sorry for what your relative is going through. It's not right, it's not fair, and no woman should have to stay with a man who abuses her or lose her whole family unless she's willing to live and die alone. It's dispicable.

hugs to you, and your relative...

essie

• carla
    carla

I've been told the elders could find a good reason for divorce no matter what. Maybe that just applies to men? Then there is always 'spiritual abuse', how does one define that? I know! Anyone who goes against the wt in thought, word or deed. Guess we all would up for that one being here.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Here in the US, I have seen JWs divorce on the basis of spousal abuse because it clears up some legal problems.

The catch is that unless one of them commits adultery, they can't scripturally remarry.

This policy leads to a whole bunch of Bull Shit. A case I know,a dubette was divorced from hubby because of abuse. He was not interested in having a new relationship (sexual) but she was. This "sister" finally screwed around and then confessed with the sole purpose being to get DF'ed,reinstated, remarried, and get back into dubdumb. She was a success and now is married to a MS. There didn't seem to be any problem with this.

Yes, that's right, no one can remarry unless 'adultery' is proven. Not just committed, mind you, proven. This is why I have known some women to hire private investigators on their exes to prove the deed had been done when the men were playing them but they congregation wouldn't acknowledge it.

And it is so hard to prove (pun intended) You can be at you girlfriends ALL DAY LONG and that proves nothing.If however you stay all night you will be convicted of fornicating.They have more rules than you can shake a stick at

• blondie
    blondie

prove, that's right, proven to the elders satisfaction.

I can remember a brother filming his ex-wife through the bedroom window to get his proof....was that breaking the law?

As to people twisting the situation....what's new...especially from an organization that says lying is all right if the person is not entitled to the truth.

So if adultery is not proven to the elders' satisfaction, they can divorce but not remarry scripturally according to the WTS rules.

Evidently, the subterfuge of both men and women in the WTS to be able to marry another, is equal opportunity.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit