History of the Bible - JWs will not like this

by Amazing1914 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Historically, the Bible is a secondary support for Christians and Jews. I was raised Roman Catholic, and our tradition and practices included the Bible, but it was not a key centerpiece of our faith. The Jewish side of my family likewise have a rich history of tradition and faith that is lived, and not pinned down to every word in the Bible. When I have met with my Jewish family and friends for Bible discussion, I have enjoyed how they "allegorize" the Bible and give historical ponderings that reflect much more emphasis on personal meaning, rather than some "official" dogma.

The Bible was not really completely compiled and agreed upon until almost 400 years after Christ. The Hebrew scrolls were there, but were not commonly available to Christians except in the Synagogues. The New Testament was not there at all. Early Christians at times may have had letters shared and hear a reading, and possibly be able to copy the letters. But, it was the ancient Catholic Church (before the East-West split in 1054 AD) that eventually collected these letters and decided upon which ones were canonical and which were not. Christians largely lived by Church tradition and short creeds for memory (hence the Apostles Creed):

Pope Damasus assembled the first list of books of the Bible at the Roman Council in 382 A.D. He commissioned St. Jerome to translate the original Greek and Hebrew texts into Latin, which became known as the Latin Vulgate Bible and was declared by the Church to be the only authentic and official version, in 1546. [Source: http://www.drbo.org/intro.htm]
    The DR New Testament was first published by the English College at Rheims in 1582 A.D. The DR Old Testament was first published by the English College at Douay in 1609 A.D. The first King James Version was not published until 1611. This online DRV contains all 73 books, including the seven Deutero-Canonical books (erroneously called Apocrypha by Protestants). These seven books were included in the 1611 KJV, but not in later KJV Bibles. [Source: http://www.drbo.org/intro.htm]
    The whole Douay-Rheims Bible was revised and diligently compared with the Latin Vulgate by Bishop Richard Challoner in 1749-1752 A.D. The notes included in the text were written by Dr. Challoner. [Source: http://www.drbo.org/intro.htm]

One can see that the Bible was not really made available in general to people to get copies until after 1611 AD. Then, the completed verification with the Latin Vulgate was not complete until 1752 AD. This must give us cause to wonder just how the Watchtower Society can makes its absurd claims about restoring "truth" in these last days (similar to Mormon claims) when in fact such could not be circulating at all, not even during the time of Christ, except by what was known and accepted by word of mouth, tradition, and letters that were circulated. So, it was eventually the early Catholic Church that declared the Bible inspired. The New Testament is a Catholic work, built upon Catholic criteria, and Catholic claims of inspiration long after the Watchtower considered the Catholic Church to be completely apostate. Essentially, if the Watchtower really thought about it, the Bible is the work of total Apostates! Some modern Protestant denominations that get all worked up over the Bible seem to treat it as something that just popped directly out of heaven. Some groups, like the JWs, treat every word as coming from the mouth of God. Many people forget that the Bible is not with Word of God, but that Jesus Christ is the Word of God! - John 1:1. Could the Bible be inspired? Yes. But, I believe that it "contains" inspired words of God, and that the Bible also contains errors and words of men. So, when the Apostle Paul says that "All Scripture is inspired of God" he was really speaking about the Hebrew Old Testament. The Eastern Orthodox recognizes the limitations of the Bible, and takes a more pragmatic view than do modern Protestants, especially fundamentalists. We must be careful when quoting the Bible to understand its limitations. The Christian faith is built far more upon tradition and Church evolution than upon Biblical developments. This is a point that completely escapes and ultimately undermines the credibility of such groups as Jehovah's Witnesses who think that they have restored "truth" but in fact have done nothing more than created a fiction.

So, for those that believe all of this history and the pros and cons, each one must decide on the historical and Bibical opinions that are varied, that they have studied and researched and come to their own conclusions. - Blueblades

Absolutely! The reason that I associate with the Greek Orthodox (Eastern Orthodox) is because of such pragmatic views. Actually, I was raised Roman Catholic, and our views were somewhat similar. This is why Catholics do not give the Bible quite as much attention as do Protestants. There are pros and cons to this view. Catholics, both Roman and Orthodox, have a wide variety of personal views at all levels of the Church. The Orthodox especially is very reluctant to impose dogma upon the Church. They keep it vey limited to Church tradition, ritual, and liturgy. They would be embarassed to publish something like the many volumes of The Watchtower magazines which function more like detailed operating procedures of a court of insane rules.

All of us are affected on what we want to believe, scripturally or historically. I have always said in my past post's on here that there will always be two camps for and against opposing views and conclusions, this cannot be avoided. - Blueblades

Agreed. However, there are facts of history we can pin down that are not subject to any real question. It is the "meaning" we place on those facts that cause the divided opinions. The fact that the early Church Fathers, especially the Ante-Nicene, taught the Trinity is there for all to read. I found it fascinating, given that when I became a Jehovah's Witness, I was led to believe that the Trinity was not really taught until the 4th century. So, I am sharing these findings on JWD for everyone to consider yet another way that the Watchtower misled us.

As for me, I'm in the "DOUBTING THOMAS" class. Remember Jesus rewarded Thomas greatly with a personal appearance even though he doubted. So, there is hope for people like me. - Blueblades

I posted something on this about Thomas years ago. In my own personal faith, I have recently renewed my former "Catholic" style of personal experience with God. By saying Catholic, I always included the Orthodox who are really the same faith, but they do not recognize all of the Pope's claims of monarchial authority. They hold that the authority of the Church should be with the Bishops as St. Ignatius stated in the year 105 AD, and run by ecumenical councils, the way it was prior to the schism of 1054 AD, where the Pope was a "first among equals" who led, but did not dictate. The two churches are continuing reunification dialogue.

So, as a Catholic, the way is to hold personal beliefs, and not "cram" these views down the throats of my fellow humans. I love and respect everyone and their differing views, from which I am challenged and learn. I have simply returned to the Catholic position that by living my faith, my humble words and example will be more powerful than by being a dogmatic s.o.b. And, in the Catholic way, it is better to realize that one can always learn and be open to change from various sources. True, some Catholics and their leaders have not always been so open-minded, but these have not been dominate among the majority of Catholics. The Bible is an important and useful historical work. It details a rich history of the Jews and early Christians. But, it must be kept in perspective and not worshiped as an icon, as Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to believe. Jehovah's Witnesses bitch about Catholics venerating the Virgin Mary, but themselves worship a book as the Word over the Lord Jesus Christ as the Word. Thus they invent rules of men that supplant what Jesus taught. Jim Whitney
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

That works for me, Jim

Narkissos put me onto Karl Barth, whose writings and opinion of the Bible I find fascinating.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I posted these thoughts on the last thread that addressed this issue, but wanted to re-post here becasue I think it is important to have a balanced view of our Bible. And Jim, I am getting confused as to your point.

Jim,

That was a great point about the statement "all scripture is inspired" because most people do not understand that this applies to the Hebrew text. That is all they had at that time.

I do feel, like a lot of others that the Early Christians knew what they were talking about also. A lot of information they wrote was based on what they were taught by Jesus himself. But I can understand why people don't agree with everything too. Because there was a long time period between Christ's death and the writing down of the Greek scriptures. And also, it is all second or third hand information and different people have different writing styles. So I get ALL that, but still feel that the Greek scriptures are just a valuable as the Hebrew ones. And that the majority of the information was passed on fairly accurately. This is because of the NT complete harmony with the OT.

In Genesis we have the fall of man, kicked out of Eden, and the tree of life being taking away. This is just the beginning of the story in the Bible. All the texts in between that and Revelation shows how Jehovah planned on reconciling this event and restoring everything. All of it is really a story about Jesus you could say. Because HE is the key to it all.

In between Genesis and Revelation we have the lives of others of like faith and their experiences, and encouragement for the future, prophecies fulfilled to boost our faith, some very basic instructions for Christians and what the future will bring. Which eventually brings us back to man being ransomed and restored in his relationship with God, death done away with, the restoring of the earth back to an Eden, and the trees of life being available again. (Revelation 21:1-5, and chapter 22). So, you see it is one, whole, complete story. And you cannot have an accurate story with just the beginning and not the ending. But you have to take it, as you will. Each person needs to decide for himself what he believes.

I hope this post makes sense, I really don't see how or why anyone that claims to be Christian would try to prove in some way that the Greek scriptures are not really accurate? Didn't you not prove on the past post that the early church fathers (as you call them) were in agreement with the bible? Am I misunderstanding your point here?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Lovelylil,

No, you are not confusing anything, nor are you confusing. I apologize if I may have caused any confusion above. I am not saying that the Bible is not very important, or that it is the pure work of men. Rather, it is not as essential as groups like the Watchtower make it out to be in a worshipful way, treating the Bible like a book of law, subjct to endless interpretations and revelations of new light.

Rather, the Bible is a rich history of God's dealings with the Jews and then Christians. It contains the words of God, but have recognizable errors. I will grab a quote from the Greek Orthodox site that helps exaplain this much better.

My main point, though, is that the Bible is a useful tool, but was not essential to the development of the Christian Church of Faith for several hundred years, and was not even available to most Christians until 1611. Yet, somehow, the Holy Spirit kept the Church together and the faith thrived and survived.

Jim Whitney

• Undecided
    Undecided

I have come to think of the bible as a book composed by men who wanted to believe in a God and created their own views of what he is like. There are so many different views given in the bible of God's feelings about humans and what they should do to get his favor that I can't take any of them seriously.

If you want to believe in a God, that may be good, depending on how your religion teaches he wants you to act. Should we kill all those who don't believe in him as was done in the Jewish history in the bible and the crusades or should we be like Christ supposedly taught?

I think I will just make up my own personal religion and not expect anyone else to follow my views, I won't even write a book about it.

Ken P.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Amazing,

I just saw your comment on the last thread. I agree with what you are saying. I also believe that while Holy Spirit guided the early bible writers, but like you said, it is not the same as God holding someones hand and writing down his thoughts. Every man, including the bible writers will because they are human, write from the perspective of their own personal views and beliefs. So we have to take it for what it is worth. Like you said, not every coma, was added by God.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Greek Orthodox View of the Bible:

Source: http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8038.asp

"Much has been said regarding the Divine authorship and inspiration of the Bible (theopneustia). Various theories have been expressed throughout the centuries concerning the way in which the Bible is the work of the Holy Spirit. Philo of Alexandria is the main exponent of the so-called "mechanical theory" of understanding the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit. According to Philo, the authors of the Bible were in a condition of "possession" by the Spirit of God, who was just using these authors as blind instruments. A better view is the so-called "dynamic view" of the cooperation between man and the Holy Spirit in the case of the Bible. In any case of "synergy" (cooperation) between God and man, God leads, and man follows; God works, and man accepts God's work in him, as God's coworker in subordination to Him. So it is with divine inspiration in the case of the Bible: the Holy Spirit inspires, and the sacred author follows the Holy Spirit's injunctions, utilizing his own human and imperfect ways to express the perfect message and doctrine of the Holy Spirit.

"In this sense, we can understand possible imperfections in the books of the Bible, since they are the result of the cooperation between the all-perfect and perfecting Divine Author, the Spirit, and the imperfect human author. Biblical textual criticism is completely normal and acceptable by the Orthodox, since they see the Bible in this light. Nothing human is perfect, including the Bible, which is the end product of human cooperation with the divine Spirit.

Jim Whitney

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Amazing..(you're truly Amazing)

I really enjoyed reading the info. you posted here. It's phenomenal and well researched. I agree 110%...not only b/c I'm Catholic, but b/c it makes so much more sense. This is what I've been telling my husband all this time...that before the Bible became what we read today it went through a lot of revision and thus, much changed/altered and things were added/removed...who knows??

I love it when things like this get posted b/c I print it and learn it so that I can attack my JW in-laws if they ever come at me with ther crap!

Thanks so very much!!!!!!!!!!!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

LaCatolica says:

I love it when things like this get posted b/c I print it and learn it so that I can attack my JW in-laws if they ever come at me with ther crap Thats the spirit! (just kidding) LOL

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JW dependence on the Bible goes to ridiculous extremes as when you see them opening the Bible every time they try to prove a point, and they usually misinterpret it. That difference in approach to the Bible between the JWs and the catholic/orthodox has a lot to tell us about why the JWs are so dangerously different and usually people don't look at these subtle things. Amazing 1914 I understand you were raised as a catholic but you now incline more towards the Orthodox though I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit